two mics on vocals

southpark

i see this often in studio documentaries and am really interested to hear your thoughts ... i see vocal tracks being taken with a dynamic and a condenser right next to each other and the vocalist singing into both of them at the same time. just wondering if anyone knows if they use both, compare afterwards and choose the best for the final mix, or if one is just a talk back mic ?
Thanks,
Dan

I've never used an arrangement as described above but I HAVE used two mics on vocals from time to time, generally with a "belter". In situations where a vocalist sings relatively quietly during verses but then yells on the chorus (or whatever) I'll put a second mic a bit farther away with the gain preset for the loud bits.

I don't know if this could be a variation on the same (dynamic less sensitive than the condenser and all that) though I've always tried to use the same type of mic so I can mix between the two.

I believe the whole 2 mic thing -1 condenser 1 dynamic- started with Robert Plant. He always had 2 mics live, and I can only assume he recorded the same way. I've never recorded both mics at the same time, but I definitely like a condenser-vocal as a double over the dynamic mic. Usually I like to blend the two, but there is a whole myriad of things you can do.

Edit::facepalm:

I've had some success double micing various things including vocals. It offers tonal possibilities a single mic can't. It worked great for a singer/ukelele player when separate mics for each didn't. I'm going to have to try it again soon.

Back