Two Mics on Vocal ?

Shouldn't we all be buying more mics? Regardless of whether or not we use them?

Perhaps its just using two brushes to create one texture...

Track rat's got it. Stereo micing sounds better than mono, too. Try it. You'll like it. You'll see.

I read about this once: a few engineers and producers will give their vocalists a dummy mic to sing into, and then put the real one a bit farther away from the vocalist. This way the singer has a mic that they can slobber on and hold onto all they want without messing up the sound.

Ryan

I used this same technique with a violin
using 2 KSM32 mic's on violin;1 directly above the violin and 1 mic pointing to the
bridge of the violin and came out excellent.

Or, instead of stereo, play around with processing the two channels that will be slightly different due to the time delay. Like put a small amount of delay (80-100 ms) without any feedback of the wet (processed signal) so you don't get and echo effect, and pan the two signals hard left and right. It sounds a little different than if you just duplicated the mono track.

If you have a decent condenser mic and one that'll do figure 8 pattern, try middle/side mic'ing. use the condenser as you would normally mic'ing say an acoustic guitar and the figure 8 mic back a few feet oriented so the "8" pattern is looking left and right of the guitar. Take the Figure 8 send and split it into two channels of your mixer, pan them left and right and reverse the polarity on one of the channels. The direct signal from first condenser is panned up the middle. You get a GREAT stereo sound that collapses to mono if you have to without any phase problems.

On old live footage I've seen singers with two or three mics taped together. I this scenario I'm certain it was just in case one packed up.

In the studio if you record a close mike and a distance mic on differnet tracks you can mess about with the levels and get different ambience levels.

Or maybe it's so the singer can do their own harmonies in one take?

I think 37point5 has got the right idea.
I have dine the same thing. You give the singer a dummy mic to hold onto and move with and have the live mic out a few inches away.
This helps the singer get into it a little more. Anyway, what would be the point of stereo micing a single lead vocal track?

Back