Two mic drum recording - full mix!

Daunt_

Here's a two mic drum recording and mix I did few days ago. Gotta love this technique :)

Microphones used:
- AKG D112
- Oktava MK-012 MSP2 (Michael Joly modded).

Both were recorded through an Api 312 clone preamp into RME ADI-8 Pro converter.

Brilliant! Sound is pretty punchy. Hah you should've heard our little song in which we recorded the drums with a single SM57. But hey, thanks for the video, great advice.

I think it does sound very good for just two mics.

My only problem with the track is that the drums don't sound as polished as the rest of the mix. In other words...the guitars and vocals sound too good for the drums. If they (guitars and vocals) were a little raunchier/rougher the whole mix would gel better to me and it would kick ass. As it is, you got really nice vocals and guitars mixed in with kind of garagey sounding drums. Still very good for two mics though.

I agree with Greg--sounds great for 2 mics. But the snare is a bit flat (maybe muffled is a better word) for my tastes. And with two mics, you're hard pressed to tweak just the snare. I know this could be addressed by changing the source on the way in, but I can't imagine working without a snare track.

Back