Two computers...dumb suggestion or the king of ideas?

YorkshireTrippe

Okay so my processor's struggling, I can only run about four seperate reverbs/delays, it takes a lunar week to mix down my songs and I have to disable EVERYTHING else running on it to get a decent MIDI latency.

I know, I know, I need a new PC, but I want to save up some money and get the absolute fastest so I can get a nice long shelf-life out of it. Don't have the money now, but I do have an album to finish. I have another PC though. Its an Athlon 64 so its not too bad and if I can get them linked together I'll be away.

I'm runing cubase and I know you can use ReWire to connect two computers over the digital ports on the sound card...one problem though...I only have one cubase dongle. Its not gonnna let me put cubase on the other computer isit? And cubase can fuck off if they think I'm gonna buy another dongle - So what I'm thinking of doing is getting REAPER for my other computer. Its only a temporary fix while I save up for a decent processor and REAPER's got a trial licence period - enough to finish the album anyway.

...but will it work? Will I be able to get cubase to send some audio tracks to REAPER, let REAPER run reverbs and things on it, and then get it back???

I mean, I'm assuming ReWire is a Steinberg technology so I'm not too hopeful but does anyone use reaper much to know what it can do?

Please help, the hamsters in my computer are getting tired of running around trying to run the thing...

I'm runing cubase and I know you can use ReWire to connect two computers over the digital ports on the sound card...one problem though...I only have one cubase dongle. Its not gonnna let me put cubase on the other computer isit?...

Why not move cubase, your files and the dongle over to the Athlon?

Haver you considered taking the hard drive out of the Athlon and using it to store the recording data on your other computer? That would free up the other computers hard drive to just do processing and not storage. That should increase the speed considerably.

Reaper is pretty light on the CPU usage. You could just mix on reaper.
I'm also pretty sure that reaper has a feature that lets you use processing power from another PC on your network.

Lose Cubase and their overpriced software and ridiculous dongles.

Try reaper and you may never open Cubase again except to export you files.:D

It works well with the line6 stuff...since the gearbox software is seperate from the editing software...and both can be prossesser hogs.

Use a version of Cubase LE on the second computer?

It doesn't use a dongle. There's were many versions of that were free in bundles that I imagine you could find a copy for $1 to $20.

I've heard of cubase LE but never tried it, does anyone know what the limitations are?

Also, on the wikipedia page for reaper it says it supports ReWire, can anyone with the program verify this for me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAPER

I'm swaying towards just getting Reaper and using that for everything though guys

Reaper is suppose to have a utility that does link two pc's via giga lan connection. FX Teleport is another seperate program that links two pc's via giga lan and actually works quite well. I did a test with it and was able to load up 10 extra plugins. Basically your plugins run on one pc and your DAW on another. The vst rig I used for the test was an Anthlon 64 with only 1 gig of memory. Some guys have multiple pc's link with this program. Do a google search on it or try the Reaper linking program.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on your current computer?

PS, Reaper is great stuff. Might as well download and try it...

Also, I'd suspect that either the reverbs you're using are hogs or your computer has some "junk-ware" installed on it.

Basically your plugins run on one pc and your DAW on another.

Thats exactly what I want to do, I'm not entirely sure whats hogging all the CPU thats the problem. I do have a lot of audio tracks on this recording (about 28) but I dont really have the time to start bouncing stuff down to less tracks, you're supposed to be able to mix without bouncing things down these days arnt you? But it could still be my reverbs and delays thats are slowing things up :confused:

Oh and my current computer is a P4 with 2GB of memory, it used to run fine but its a few years old and its just steadily been getting slower, I've tried everything to get it running faster and I've uninstalled basically everything except recording software.

Thats exactly what I want to do, I'm not entirely sure whats hogging all the CPU thats the problem. I do have a lot of audio tracks on this recording (about 28) but I dont really have the time to start bouncing stuff down to less tracks, you're supposed to be able to mix without bouncing things down these days arnt you? But it could still be my reverbs and delays thats are slowing things up :confused:

Oh and my current computer is a P4 with 2GB of memory, it used to run fine but its a few years old and its just steadily been getting slower, I've tried everything to get it running faster and I've uninstalled basically everything except recording software.

Try Malwarebyte and see if it finds anything. I have no trouble running more tracks than that on a single core AMD 2600. I'd bet there is something else going on with your computer.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I don't use any of the super highend convolution reverbs and stuff, but I do use multiple instances of compression and effects.

Make sure your Hard drives are defragged and operating at their proper transfer protocol. Windows sometimes chooses the slowest setting. Do a search for HD Tach. Its a small program thats tests your transfer rates and do a search on tweaking you Hard Drives. I bet its a fragmented drive and as Jeff D pointed out, some spyware junk. I never use my DAW to get online, unless its absolutely necessary to activate software. I have ancient pc in the studio for that. Doesnt take much to surf the web. Also have you loaded any new Anti-Virus stuff on that system. That alone can slow it to a crawl. Check for Spyware, Defrag the drives, check the speed of the drives, disable you network cards, disable your anti-virus and firewall then start up your DAW. If you need online then enable the network card and virus/firewall.
Also hear is a link to some highly recommended tweaking software http://www.tweaknow.com/ Some of the best free shit on the web. The Tweaknow Power Pack is new and is a all in one unit. Nice sytem that cleans your registry, defrags the registry and does other things to make Windows a better place. Its freeware !!!!

Back