I'm still getting the hang of the Tascam DP01

I used a Sure SM57 miked up Ibanez TB100 Amp
with a Marshall 1960a 4x12 for the distorted guitars

I used the lineout/head phone jack on the Ibanez
striaght into the recorder for the clean guitars

Mixed to Easy CD creator to PC thru
a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

MP3 is 160 k b/s

Guitar sound is passable I guess, I think the POD would give you better results though, just my two cents. These porta studios are pretty limiting, Ive been using a Zoom MRS 1608 and have been getting moderate results. My biggest complaint is the drums and latency with the effects. Outboard gear can fix this though. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=496060&songID=3598837 I record with Ibanez universe and an a RG 2027 7 string right into a line 6 amp and out thru the headphone jack. All the drums and effects come from the Zoom.

Thanks, I think the recorder is ok. I think maybe if I used a tube head instead of the Ibanez It might sound better. Also No efx on the clean guitar, just the Ibanez reverb which is kinda weak. I did use a little reverb with the distorted guitar BOSS RV-5 I try to use real efx not pc efx too. Also the guitars sound a little better when mixed with Bass and Drums instead on in your face guitars!!!

I'm trying to stay away from pod type of things trying to use mics and live amps. Trying to get mic placement going.

Also the amp was at TV volume, not concert hall volume. That makes a difference too

all in all I think its ok as well, will now better with a vocal trac, drums and bass

Sounds Good!!!

joeydego said:
Guitar sound is passable I guess, I think the POD would give you better results though, just my two cents. These porta studios are pretty limiting, Ive been using a Zoom MRS 1608 and have been getting moderate results. My biggest complaint is the drums and latency with the effects. Outboard gear can fix this though. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=496060&songID=3598837 I record with Ibanez universe and an a RG 2027 7 string right into a line 6 amp and out thru the headphone jack. All the drums and effects come from the Zoom.

Sounds Good!!!
I'm not really into programing drums but yours sounds ok

tube amps are the way to go! now your talking! I have a dual rectofier and an old boggie mk II. Great sound for playing out, but a bitch to record with. Can you get a better sound from a tube amp compared to its digital counterpart? yes. However, you can get a far WORSE sound that way too. The digital stuff is plug and play, and usually sounds good. The mic placement and volume, room your in, which way the wind is blowing etc all plays a part in the sound when you go live mic.

Tube Amps!!!

I think tube is the ticket!!!
But honestly I have heard worse tube amps then my Ibanez and the Metal Zone. I'm still getting the hang of the Metal Zone and GE-7 EQ
I think I got the mic sweet spot down. Found it with head phones when I was moving the mic around, all of a sudden it sounded really good so there I left the SM57.

I have Fender Priceton Amps that sound awesome for clean guitars I think I'm going to try them next with my Fender Strat instead of the Jackson with EMGs

The Cabinet I use is a 1982 Marshall 4x12 1960a. It sounds really good too Makes the Ibanez sound ok lol

I have an ESP MII deluxe from the late 80's with EMGs and its a great shred guitar but lousy clean sound. There are some sh*t tube heads (krank) and some great solid state amps. An engineer once told me " you cant polish a turd" so if you think a piece of gear sucks, you can pair it together with a solid gold cab and it wont matter enough to make it sound good. My best clean guitar is my Ibanez RG 2027 when I switch on the piezo pickup, god its like heaven! If you have to dough to throw down on a soldano SLO 100 or even a hotrod 50+, seems like the way to go for the style your into. You'll never have to buy another head again!

Good Tone to Tape!!

Yes I think a good Prog Metal tone is what I'm looking for. Not over processed like most of the prog guys, more of a metal edge. I'm not crazy about a one trick pony either thats my prob lol
I have tried a few B-52 heads, never recorded with them tho. They seem ok
at least they are tube heads lol

Back