two amps at once

OstiaMan

hi!
how can I use two amps (diferent settings) at the same time?
I'm using a "Y" cable but ther's too much ground. I read somewhere that I could use a "Y" cable but one of the ends must have ...(something to do whit the ground)
do I need an A/B box? If I do, how does that work.

thanxz

With an A/B or A/B/Y box you just plug into it and you can switch between two amps or both amps at the same time.

Check this one out www.whirlwindusa.com/selec.html It's about $80-90.

You can also use a stereo stompbox pedal, like a stereo chorus pedal that has two outputs.

I don't know anything about Y cables- sorry.

Plug your instrument into input #1 of the first amp.plug a cable into input #2 of amp #1 and plug the other end into input #1
of amp#2.

sheppard

Several ways this can work. From simplest to more complex:

Have two amps with an A/B switch. E.G. a Twin Reverb for clean sounds and a Deluxe Reverb for the overdrive. The A/B switch selects which amp you are listening to.

HAve two amps with an effects loop. Run the guitar into the front of amp A with fx loop - take line out to a stereo chorus (pedal or rack mount) - take the stereo lines out back to the two "effects in" inputs on amps A and B.

HAve two amps set up - one with a line out to your effects with a volume pedal as the last effect in the line. Take a line from the volume pedal to the second amps line input. Control the amount of the effect you hear with the volume pedal.

I used the second one (above) for a couple of years live and it sounds great.

sheppard said:
Plug your instrument into input #1 of the first amp.plug a cable into input #2 of amp #1 and plug the other end into input #1
of amp#2.

sheppard

Huh? Plug an input into an input? Methinks you are mistaken.

Sorry Mr. Whoop, but Sheppard is correct... Both inputs of amp 1, channel 1 are usually connected (assuming its not a stereo amp), so the signal present at input A is also present at input B's jack, therefore capable of driving the input of another amp. This is essentially the same as the Y cable thing. This will work best if you are using just about any kind of stompbox, since its output will be "active" and better able to be divided to drive 2 amps.
Another easy solution is if amp #1 has an effects loop. or preamp out, use that to drive amp # 2.

a lot of good ideas but I think I'll go whith the a/b box and another multi fx prosesor(conected by MIDI).
the idea is to jave independent sound in each amp,so a multi fx in stereo wont do the trick. since i already have a GT-5 maybe I'll go and buy the PODxt.

-can I control the POD via MIDI from a GT-5?\
I think thats another post..... =\

thanx to all !!!!!!

Back