Two amps at once, live

I'd like to be able to drive 2 amps at the same time in a live environment and I'm just wondering as to the best way to do this. I could just use an A/B box I have that allows both outputs to be on simultaneously, but I'm thinking that will decrease the signal level being sent to each amp. Is there a solution like an active splitter that will maintain the signal level?

Depending on your setup, you may not notice any difference at all, even with a plain old A/B box like the one Morley makes. I used to do it, and didn't really notice much level drop when I switched to both, not enough to be a pain, anyway. The signal doesn't get split in half when you drive two amps, it doesn't work that way. :)

What I did notice was some tonal changes, as driving two inputs with one guitar drops the impedance the guitar sees. It also adds capacitance, due to the other cable. I also had a ground loop problem, until I plugged both amps into a power strip.

The tonal shifts went away when I put my pedals in the chain. Most guitar pedals buffer guitar pickups just fine, and can drive two inputs with no problems or volume drops.

If you don't have any issues with one amp, and use pedals without true bypass, you likely will be fine with a passive A/B box.

Morley makes the "Tripler" which is basically an active splitter that will send a signal to up to three amps and it has gain to keep the signal from degrading.

A mixer might do it. Using Aux send.

sile2001 said:
I'd like to be able to drive 2 amps at the same time in a live environment and I'm just wondering as to the best way to do this.

Bet you could put a mixer in the chain and use the Aux sends 1 & 2 putting the signal out to the two amps without losing anything.

Choctaw

I often do this with a Fender Twin and a Jansen (solid state), sometimes I use a splitter box and sometimes take a line from the second input of the Fender to the input of the Jansen. This seems to boost the signal to the second amp. Either way works fine by me. Being the eternal gear junkie I am thinking of adding a 3rd. amp to it.

A device like the LS-2 from Boss would allow you to run two amps simultaneously (with separate send level controls) and switch between them as you like (A, B, A+B)

used to do that all the time with an ampeg for lead and a fender for rythum, just used a standard ab box and never had a problem.

I do it all the time, it's called slaving. Simple to do if either amp has two inputs (on the same chanel) by plugging your guitar into the #1 input (high) then use the #2 input as a "slave out" to the input of the second amp. Its an old trick and people have been doing it for years. The efx settings on one amp will not affect the other amp. I set one clean to get clear notes and crank up the gain on the other to give the overall sound some drive. It's simple and does not require any extra gear except another cable. Pedals connected between the guitar and the first amp will affect both amps, connected between the amps will only affect the slave amp.

beat me to it, dani.
in addition though, if your amp only has one input per channel like my slavtek, just use the line out jack on the master into the input of the slave. use instrument cable for this connection as it is a low voltage high impedance signal.

If both of your amps have effects loops, you can run a cable from the send, of the amp your guitar is plugged into, to the return of the other.

But then you also have to keep in mind that the second amp receives a signal that has already been run through the first amp's preamp. It will not be the same as just running a line straight to the second amp.

Just got a second Fender amp today, a Dual Showman head, one of the Red knob series which is virtually identical to the "The Twin" red knob series that I already have, so now it'll be 3 amps on stage, I also ordered some Eminence Patriot "Red White and Blues" 12 " speakers to go with it. Roll on Xmas.
But cop this, I contacted the Australian importer who informed me he knew nothing about the Patriot series and had no intention of importing any in the forseeable future, needless to say I got them online from the USA, there are some ignorant bastards in business in this country who whine like stuck pigs that people should support local business first.

Dave,
I see that your distortion is at the end of the chain, I have heard that if you use a compressor it should go first, then a distortion box and other effects after that, have you ever noticed any difference from placement in the signal chain?
Clive

2001 Go for the switch box. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. Having 2 amps on the go gives such a full sound and endless possibilities of effects. Make one distorted and one a bit cleaner. Make them both distorted etc. Have fun !!! :D

Hey Clive, Your right. Actually, I never really noticed that I put my Rat in that order. Duh !! Your rule of thumb is true but you can always mix up your effects chain for different sounds. I'll have to see what I come up with if I move my distortion ahead. So far I've been really happy with what I get and I've had lots of good comments on it. Guys asking me how I get that tone. Still playing around my with settings though so I'll see if there's much noticable difference if I change the Rat around. Thanks !!! :cool:

David Player at Myspace and on Soundclick

Ok, it worked out really well! Our guitarist was playing both his and my Epi Les Pauls through his Fender 1x12 Deville for cleans, my Orange AD30TC for crunch and lead, and through both (with Deville on distortion channel) for a freaking massive sound! Thanks for the help guys!

sile2001 said:
Ok, it worked out really well! Our guitarist was playing both his and my Epi Les Pauls through his Fender 1x12 Deville for cleans, my Orange AD30TC for crunch and lead, and through both (with Deville on distortion channel) for a freaking massive sound! Thanks for the help guys!

Just for grins, try splitting the signal with a stereo chorus when you play through both amps.

Back