TV Ad music for voice-over + jingle production question=compression?

Goldenvoice388

I have a question about a television advertising jingle I'm working on. It is a 30 second spot, with the "jingle" sung on the last 10 seconds. I'm recording live to tape - mixing to stand-alone burner - final touches to the stereo mix can be made in Reaper.

Question: Should I record all the music tracks, mix to CD, and open in Reaper - compress/limit well to 'flatten and fatten', then load back to tape for the vocals? Seems like most of the jingles I'm hearing have the music smashed much harder than the vocals - but maybe that's the ducking...

Or should I leave all parts pretty well uncompressed, and let the unknowns at the local TV station - who will be doing the voice-over, etc, do any and all dynamics taming?

I will be providing them with a simple stereo CD.

Any other input would help also!

Goldenvoice

you're sending it to the TV station to have the VO done?
just mix it like you would any other song. let the TV guys handle the levels of the overall mix. They'll have a better understanding on what they need for broadcast levels than you do. Most likely they will just mix it with the VO and compress it to their taste and set levels accordingly for TV (which are much different than you are probably setting them for your mix).

yeah, what benny said, they will mix and compress to what they need. Don't be surprised when they squash the shit out of it to make the commercial screaming loud, that's what a commercial is designed to do most of the time, just scream at you for 30 seconds.

Yes, I agree with the other two posters. Mix it so it sounds good to you, then send it off to the station. They will do to it what they need to.

gtrman_66 said:
Don't be surprised when they squash the shit out of it to make the commercial screaming loud, that's what a commercial is designed to do most of the time, just scream at you for 30 seconds.

well, sort of. They have rules they need to follow still. The reason commercials are really much louder than program material is because of the differences in dynamic range. TV shows/movies have a very wide dynamic range while commercials are really designed not to. This doesn't necessarily always mean they're compressed to high hell.

Back