Tutorials

KevinTran

I'm new to Sonar and am going through the tutorials right now.

I have no MIDI equipment, but the first tutorial file uses a project with nothing but MIDI files. I don't get any playback. I have the Audiophile 2496 and the OUTS on each track are set to

1- Delta AP Midi

All the midi drivers are selected in the Options/Midi tab.

How do I listen to these midi tracks? I've got to missing something very simple.

kt

thanks

You mean you have no midi hardware (sound module, keyboard) connected to your Audiophile?

I believe the Audiophile doesn't have its own wavetables (the SBLive and Audigy cards have that, but most pro cards don't....it's audio only, and midi in/out), so without hardware modules you won't hear a thing...

Pedullist said:
You mean you have no midi hardware (sound module, keyboard) connected to your Audiophile?

I believe the Audiophile doesn't have its own wavetables (the SBLive and Audigy cards have that, but most pro cards don't....it's audio only, and midi in/out), so without hardware modules you won't hear a thing...

yea, ped. that's what i meant. no hardware.

ok...so i can't listen to the midi files then..that's cool. i'm just trying to learn all the buttons anyway.

thanks. kt

Beltrom said:
Don't Sonar come with a few mididriven software synths?

Under the Midi Option...there's MIcrosoft Midi mapper....

is that the same thing? when i select it, i get a message saying i haven't selected a midi output or somthin like that.

Ped,

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cheap keyboard. I was eyeing a $200 Casio at GC yesterday.

kt

damn, i spending way too much lately.

You can use a DXi synth for the midi sounds. Sonar comes with the Virtual Sound Canvas, and also a demo version of Live Synth Pro.

However, you will have to modify the tutorials. First you need to set up a new audio track. Then in the FX bin, patch in the VSC DXi. Then route the midi tracks' output to the VSC.

This sounds harder than it actually is. If you need more help, c'mon back.

Yes, what the Almighty Dachay2tnr said...

SONAR comes with goodie goodies Software based synths. DXi. It's pretty easy to use, and tell you that they sometime sound better than "real" older MIDI devices :) Generaly, you'll need GM compatible soft synth like VSC (Virtual sound canvas). And after you get used to using DXi, in case you need to use soundfonts as alternative, you can use LiveSynth Pro.

...oh, yeah... sure, but how to start one, Jaymz ?

Okay, open all MIDI project.

Now, insert some blank audio track.

In the FX bin, right click and add effect, chose DXi synth, EDIROL VSC.

Now time to assign your MIDI track to route to the DXi. select any MIDI track, right click Out destination, and select Edirol VSC. Select it's channel, bank and patch. Repeat the process to all your MIDI track (make sure each is assigned to their own MIDI channel, and drums/rhytm on channel 10).

Play it...

MIDI being played :)

hope it helps
;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• dxi vsc.jpg
    dxi vsc.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 114
Dac, thanks for the suggestion!

James, thanks for the directions!!!

you guys rock. The deaf now hears.....

kt

kevin,

I have the same thing you do (puter + sonar but no MIDI devices...)

Open the file "it don't matter" I believe it has midi drums.

When I opened it, it DID play, and I DID hear the drums.

If you do not, then you have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Jim

jdier said:
Open the file "it don't matter" I believe it has midi drums. When I opened it, it DID play, and I DID hear the drums.
The reason you could hear the drums was that the DXi had already been inserted into the *wrk file and then Saved. The VSC DXi is then automatically invoked by CakeWalk when the file is opened obviating the need to go through the whole insert/assign process.

In fact I do precisely this with a *WRK file I've named BASE.WRK. So whenever I feel a new project coming on, I open BASE.WRK and compose my latest MIDI masterpiece. I then Save As with a new name for the file.

--
BluesMeister

BluesMeister has very good trick up there :) However, in case you have SONAR 2 (or 2 XL) which doesn't allow you to save to either .wrk , .bun , .tpl , you can save it to .cwp , .cwb , or .cwt :)

;)
Jaymz

I am with you BM. My suggestion was to make sure the poster had everything else in line.

To do what you are doing I actually over wrote the normal template for sonar in the sonar directory. When I open sonar, it opens with my inputs set and a midi drum track ready to go with a simple 4/4 beat. I use the drums as a metronome initially to capture my idea, then I improve them into a drum track.

Jim

Back