Tutorial: Dyad DXi

BluesMeister

Occasional Poster
Using Dyad Dxi

This tutorial explains how to use Dyad Dxi for playing SoundFonts. I will concentrate on Drums in this tutorial, but the technique can generally be applied to other SoundFonts that are not bundled with Dyad. For this tutorial I have used Douglas Natural Drums, but equally could be any drum SoundFont.

When you install Dyad on your PC it defaults to its own directory and the many bundled SoundFonts are also installed into a default directory. When I installed CakeWalk on my PC I overrode the default directory for CakeWalk and placed it in C:\CakeWalk. My SoundFonts are located in C:\SoundFonts.

The SF2s that were bundled with Dyad are in C:\CakeWalk\Shared Dxi\Dyad Dxi\Samples

Open HS2004XL

Start a new project

You will see one Audio track and one MIDI track.

Drag the bottom of the MIDI track downward until you can see the track’s entire drop down menu windows. They are labeled In Out Channel Bank Patch Key Time Fx
Click on Out then move the mouse pointer onto New Drum Map Click on GM Drums Complete Kit

Click on Piano Roll View (PRV) icon and in the LH pane where the keyboard usually appears you’ll see the names of all the instruments in the GM Drums (Complete) patch. Some of the instruments listed will not apply to the SoundFont you will load and can be deleted (that will be covered later).

Close the PRV view.

Close the MIDI track by dragging the bottom of the pane upward.

Open the Audio track by dragging the bottom of the pane downward. Move your mouse into the FX box and right click to open up a pop up menu.

Move the mouse pointer to DXi Synth > to open up another pop-up menu. Move the mouse pointer to Dyad Dxi.
The Dyad Dxi synth will appear with default preset (darkshortbass.sf2). Move the mouse pointer over the virtual keyboard to audition the SoundFont.

We must load a drum SoundFont to replace the default SoundFont in Layer 1.

Left Click on the text Layer A. Click on Unload Layer A.

Click on the small folder icon to the right of Layer B to open a dialogue box labeled Open.

Click on the Up One Layer icon to locate your SoundFont directory.

Double Click on Douglas Natural Drums SoundFont.

Click on Dyad’s virtual keyboard to audition the SoundFont. You may have to click on several keys before you find one that corresponds to the instruments in the SoundFont.

In the box next to Preset type in Douglas Drums, then click on the Save floppy disk icon.

Close the Dyad Dxi synth.

Click on the MIDI track to highlight it and open PRV.

Right click anywhere in the LH pane (where the instrument names are located). Select Drum Map Manager (DMM) from the pop up menu. Scroll to the top of the list in the upper pane Settings For DM-1 Default.

In the column headed Out Port it will have defaulted to your MIDI out port. All of these have to be changed.

Click on the inverted pyramid to open the pull-down menu. Click on Dyad Dxi. You must do this for all of the instruments (although some instruments named do not appear in the SoundFont file). Save the Preset as Douglas Drums and minimise DMM.

Now we have to delete any instrument names from the Drum Map that do not have an associated instrument in the SoundFont.

In PRV, scroll to the bottom of the list. Click on the first entry at the bottom of the list. If there is no sound, locate the name in DMM and delete the name by clicking on the name to highlight it, and clicking on XDelete.

Click on each name and delete entries that have no associated sound. Some instruments may have an incorrect name. You can change the name in one of two ways.

In PRV, right click on the instrument and select Map Properties from the pop up menu. Change the name by dragging the mouse over the incorrect name and overtype with the appropriate name.

Or, locate the name in DMM and double click the name. Overtype the appropriate name. When you have renamed all of the instruments save the Preset in DMM.
Close DMM.

You can now compose your drum track.

--
BluesMeister

Your timing is spot on! I will use this as a foundation upon which to build my knowledge and experience of soundfonts! Thanks!

Lopie,

Dyad DXi is included with HomeStudio 2004XL, but you can purchase it separately if you wish.

Google for Dyad DXi.

I can think of no reason why you can't use it with Sonar 2.2

Disclaimer: I have no connection with CakeWalk other than being a user.

Qwerty, BloodShark & Shockadelica

Let me know how you get on with the tutorial, if it makes sense and if it works as you want it to.

--
BluesMeister

ADDENDUM

Changing note velocities in Dyad DXi

Open the audio track in which Dyad DXi is inserted.

Click on the name Dyad DXi in the FX window. This opens up the Dyad synth. Towards the bottom LH corner, adjacent to LFO2 you'll see Sync. There are two rows of small squares either side of the wave forms. Dyad defaults to Sine Wave Off. Click in the RH box next to Amp.

Next, move your mouse pointer into the Amp knob directly below where it says Velocity. Hold the left button down and move the mouse upwards until the knob is fully rotated to the right (approximately 5 o'clock position).

Minimise Dyad.

Click on the MIDI track corresponding to the Dyad Audio track you've just closed. Click on PRV, You can now change the velocoites individually or globally.

Individual Velocity Change
Right click on the note. Change the velocity either by adjusting the [+] and [-] buttons or by clicking dragging the mouse pointer over the note value (default is 100) and changing with the numeric keypad (with NumLock on) or with the numerals over the alpha keys.

Global Velocity Change
Left click in the instrument name (eg Pedal hi-Hat). This selects all of the pedal Hi-Hat hits in the tune. Click on Process at the top of the screen. Click on Midi Effects > CakeWalk FX > Velocity. You are now presented with the Velocity Dialogue Box. This dialogue box gives you flexibility over how you want to control velocities.

--
BluesMeister

Attachments

• dyad-velocity.jpg
    dyad-velocity.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 116
Back