Turntables, Not Scratchin'

GemSmith,

You shouldn't talk like that.

The days of truly being engrossed in the sonic splendor of a quality analog presentation is heresy to the digital masses.

Surely the benefits of not waiting for a tape to rewind completely outweigh all the prehistoric luxuries of analog sound. ;)

Cheers! :)

Ha! :D But GemSmith is right that a good (not the best or even middle of the road) vinyl player can sound better than CD. In fact it reminds me of a 30 year old DUAL 502 and 510 turntable I experimented with some time ago vs a dvd/cd player running through a good receiver and tower speakers. Same system but the vinyl always came out sounding nicer, even with an old, lower end turntable. No matter how you slice it and what quality the converters are, the CD format is only capable of so much and it ain't enough to truly experience the original analog source ...

I work at a recod store and we use Technics to do Analog to Digital transfers. No, you don't need the pitch shift for this. The reason we use technics is because of the weight systems. On more valuable records, the needles virtually do no damage to the record. If you're not concerned about tearing up your records, you can get a player with a heavier tone arm. I would suggest technics for just about anything. yes, they're "scratching" turn tables notoriously, but they're also DAMN good for anything else you need them for.

cjacek said:
Ha! :D But GemSmith is right that a good (not the best or even middle of the road) vinyl player can sound better than CD. In fact it reminds me of a 30 year old DUAL 502 and 510 turntable I experimented with some time ago vs a dvd/cd player running through a good receiver and tower speakers. Same system but the vinyl always came out sounding nicer, even with an old, lower end turntable. No matter how you slice it and what quality the converters are, the CD format is only capable of so much and it ain't enough to truly experience the original analog source ...

The function of the turntable is limited to doing a couple of very simple things right, namely spin the platter at the correct steady speed, and locate the cartridge correctly. It's the cartridge that gives the sound. The turntable's like the mic stand and the cartridge like the mic.

Back