Turning up an amp really loud when you're micing it

palz.

Does this give the guitar better presence and make it sound more upfront? Cause my band was recording and we miced the guitars, but they sounded pretty bad except this one overdub we did with the amp turned up really loud. I don't know a great deal about recording so I was wondering if anyone who does could chime in. Thanks.

Depending on your amp model, turning the amp up will usually affect the tonal characteristics of the sound. Whether that equates to being 'more up front' depends what you mean by 'more up front'. Consider the EQ settings you have dialled in, how far the mic is from the amp and what level you're tracking at.

Hmmmmmm I generally use old school valve amps for studio recording (volume, treble & bass) & they are generally at about 7 volume wise & tone to suit but some of these amps are LOUD!!!!!!

to be honest I tend to set most amps at about 7 (or 11)

IMO yes it gives me the sound I'm looking for at loud volume but the speakers play a huge part in the sound. If it sounds to messy I'll turn it down & shift a mic or 2. I gennerally use 2 mics as well sometimes 3 depending on the size of the room

Has a lot more to do with how you record rather than what you record. Mic placement, pre amp settings and compression play a more dominant role in capturing an amp. There is always the fact that you get out what you put in too.

IronFlippy said:
That's pretty much all the info you could want about micing distorted guitars. I highly recommend the read.

Just make sure you get yourself a 12pack of your favorite beverage and lots of ice, cuz you'll need it for the loooooong haul.

Back