Turn 4 sec loop into 4 min track?

knownuttin

Apologies, but I don't have the correct terminology to even ask the question. I have SF 4.5, and love it. I have an older version of ACID also, and am almost completely ignorant of it. No manuals, cause my wife throws out everything I try to collect in piles on the floor.

Haven't been able to suss this out in Help files, either. In SF I edit say a drum beat down to 4 seconds and play it looped. I'm now wanting to create a file in which this loop plays continuously for say 4 minutes. My objective is to have that new 4 minute wave file to open in my multitrack program and start overdubbing.

I don't know how to do this. Yes, I'm stupid. Pity me, and HELP!
-kent

Well, you can take that 4 sec loop in SF and Acidize it (click the "A" icon that resembles the Acid logo in your Acid toolbar in SF)

Give that loop some properties (fill in the blanks accordingly).

Save it.

Open it up in ACID. Paint it for 4 minutes.

Render it as a .wav file.

Import it into whatever multitracker you are using.

Presto.

Brad

Many thanks, Brad! Pardon me being dim, but once I open it in ACID, how does one "Paint it for 4 minutes."? As I mentioned, I lack the terminology. Is "Paint" one of the edit functions?

Sorry to be so dumb.
-kent

"paint" is the term sonic foundry uses to describe the basic way you drag loop segments along to form one long loop or track. The tool looks like a pencil - once you have selected the loop and entered it into the track view area, you can left click within the track area and drag the loop out to the desired length. This is called painting - you aren't stretching the loop - it just repeats the loop over and over for as long as you drag.
You can paint one segment, leave a couple of measures blank, and then begin painting again if you want to.

Brad

P.S. you aren't dumb, man. It is your wife's fault for throwing away the manuals!:cool:

Let me say some more about "painting" loops in case that was unclear.

Let's say you have a drum loop that is 4 beats long. You drag that loop out twice as long (the loop will develop segments as you drag it along, one segment being one measure of your 4 beat loop.) so when you drag it out to twice as long, you know have a drum loop that is 8 beats long with a little indent halfway through. If you drag it out until you see 12 segments, you now have that drum loom for 12 measures for a total of 48 beats with an indent every 4 beats.

Play with it a little, it is pretty easy to get the hang of it.

In case I failed to mention it Brad, YOU DA MAN!

I was short of time last night so I hastily followed your directions without auditioning each step. When I did listen in the multitrack program I found the 4 minute loop was about double tempo. I'm guessing I should have set this back in SF when I ACIDIZED the original loop. I'll try again tonight.

Repeated thanks!
-kent

knownuttin said:
....I found the 4 minute loop was about double tempo. I'm guessing I should have set this back in SF when I ACIDIZED the original loop....

You LEFT-CLICK on the track.

Goto the bottom of your screen then click onthe properties TAB.

Make the TRACK TYPE "loop".

Then, double the amount of beats.

;) peace.......

Ehm, you could fix it all in soundforge before the overdubbing in ACID if you want.
Just select the entire loop, copy it, put the "marker"-line in the end by clicking the go to end button. Start pasting til you have your four minutes. Save and then open it in ACID. You can do about the same in ACID too. Just make sure the properties for the file doesnt have the strech from tempo box checked (in ACID)...

I knew it! Well, I didn't or I wouldn't have asked, but I mean I knew there was some simple solution I was overlooking. It seems such a basic everyday kind of function.

You rock, P Hallin!
-kent

Back