Tuning issues when using the tremolo slightly

sarge117

I'm going to bring up something that nobody has ever encountered before.

I have a guitar that goes out of tune when I use the tremolo.

OK, seriously.

I have an old 1980's ESP.

In fact, it has the original ESP manufactured Sinclair Tremolo.

Now, When I whale on this thing, I have no problems. It comes up in tune beautifully.

I can do dives, litterally push the bar against the guitar body and when I let it go it comes back in tune.

HOWEVER, when I am trying to do more subtle whammy action, like the solo to Sweat home Alabama, where there are just slight pushes on the tremolo, the bridge never settles completely back in tune. To get it back in tune I litterally have to do a dive, then it comes back in tune.

But when just doing subtle pushes, it doesn't come back.

Any ideas?

have you filed down the bridge a bit? a little graphite on the nut? maybe a different bridge (roller type?)

Further proof that Leo Fender screwed up the language forever:

it's a vibrato. A tremolo is a gain modulation effect.

Seriously, take the guitar to a setup guy, if you can't do it yourself. It's a miracle what a trained technician can do.l

I thought it was an extension...
If it were my guitar I'd take it to a tech - I'd hate to make things worse.
Then again - if it were my guitar it wouldn't be a problem because a) I'm not subtle & b) I don't use the whammy.

sometimes when my strat is out of tune I just thump the bridge with my fist. Not a punch, just a thump. 1/3 of the time it goes right back in tune. The other 2/3 of the time it actually requires tuning.

A locking nut might help.

It has a locking nut. It's a double locking system.

I guess I will go ahead and take it to a tech. But in the end I am thinking it just needs to be cleaned and lubed. But I'm to scared to take it off the guitar.

I was just a bit surprised because I had been playing some Van Halen and was not having any issues with tuning. Then when I go to play Lynyrd Skynyrd and the slight whammy puts it out of tune.

Static friction is greater than sliding friction. Basically that means that it takes more force to get something moving than to keep it moving. You're finding that threshold with your whammy. However, a little lube will likely fix it. Just a drop of light oil or a little graphite on each of the spots where the bridge contacts the posts should do it.

Static friction is greater than sliding friction. Basically that means that it takes more force to get something moving than to keep it moving. You're finding that threshold with your whammy. However, a little lube will likely fix it. Just a drop of light oil or a little graphite on each of the spots where the bridge contacts the posts should do it.

This man speaks truth.

Also take a look at your trem posts. Are they notched or worn such that the trem tends to "stick" when you're using it gently? Or is there enough built up gunk that it's interfering with trem movement?

Another longshot fix, as this shouldn't be a problem unless ALL trem use makes the trem go a little off, but let's say for the sake of discussion when you "really whale on it" you're diving AND pulling back, whereas when you touch it lightly, it's generally only in one direction. How tightly is your nut attached to the neck? A buddy of mine had a guitar with a Floyd that he couldn't get to stay in tune for the life of him, and it turned out to be as simple as the nut was slightly loose and would shift when he grabbed the bar.

Back