Tuning is.. HARD

mwarkentin

Yaargh.. printed off the Drum Tuning Bible.. spent about 4 hours tuning the toms and kick, replacing the beater heads on the toms.. hope they sound better and not worse.. :( This is the first time me or my drummer has really done this.

mwarkentin said:
Yaargh.. printed off the Drum Tuning Bible.. spent about 4 hours tuning the toms and kick, replacing the beater heads on the toms.. hope they sound better and not worse.. :( This is the first time me or my drummer has really done this.

Wise man saying -
Experience is something you have right after you need it.

It will get faster, easier, and better. Kudos to you for working that hard on it!

Ok - here's a funny thing. I heard it off a friend who made some really good drum sounds and who reckons tuning is far more important than mic placement.

All I have is a tip for kick-drum tuning. Basically, keep the skin loose as heck - the lugs only just finger tight. If this is something you do as a matter of course in recording drums, carry on! If not try it. He gets a sound like the Flaming Lips - big, roomy and pretty damn impressive, whether yr into that thing or not. He is also heavily reliant on the overhead mics, but puts a large diaphragm condensor two - three feet in front of the kick, and has no skin on the front.

Ok - cheers,

B.

Back