Tuning Down = Any Negative Effects???

the dude

Hi, I am wondering if tuning down my electric AND/OR acoustic to D, one whole step down from standard, would have any negative effects on the guitar? My band tunes down a whole step but when i write my own shit I tune back up to standard. Anyone know if this places any un wanted stress on the guits? thanks for the replys!! Later the dude,.

I meant exactly what I asked. Would there be any negative effects to the guitar? If not, great. If constantly switching the tuning bewteen E and D would eventually cause problems, I'd like to know.

the dude said:
Hi, I am wondering if tuning down my electric AND/OR acoustic to D, one whole step down from standard, would have any negative effects on the guitar? My band tunes down a whole step but when i write my own shit I tune back up to standard. Anyone know if this places any un wanted stress on the guits? thanks for the replys!! Later the dude,.
Yes, that could cause some problems with the neck... it's best to have the truss rod adjusted for the tuning (and strings) that is going to be used on that guitar.

The biggest issue is with breaking strings and how long a string will last. The higher strings seem to be more suseptable to this. Other than that, a neck should be set up for one tuning and if you have 2 guitars you could do that, but the biggest issue is string wear.

It won't damage the guitar tuning down. Depending on the guitar, its scale and string gauge, it can change the "feel" of the guitar. And I feel there's a point where depending on all of the above, you don't want to tune beyond. Case in point, I was experimenting with one of my Strats and D was about as far as I could go down and still have the guitar behave. C# was too far. The Strat with a longer scale seemed to tolerate it more. YMMV.

thanks TRACKRAT. I have an AMERICAN TELE that stays in tune incredibly. I have had it in standard tuning since I got it and I dont want that good quality (staying in tune) to go away. We dont tune down any further than D. Thanks!

another quetion. If everyone is in DGCFAD, is there any way to avoid tuning down? (i.e. capo? alternate fingerings, etc??) thanks all. much abliged!

Before you take Track Rat's word that "It won't damage the guitar tuning down" why don't you call Fender and ask them.

the dude said:
another quetion. If everyone is in DGCFAD, is there any way to avoid tuning down? (i.e. capo? alternate fingerings, etc??) thanks all. much abliged!
No on the capo, but you could use alternate fingering... however, it's not going to really sound like a D tuning. Think about it... what fingering is going to really sound like the (6th) E string dropped to a D? None.

DJL, it doesnt necessarily have to "sound" like a D tuning, We have other guitars that are tuned down so I was going for something that would fit but sound different. We have an acoustic player tuned down and I would be playing electric. Sounds like it might work.

the dude said:
DJL, it doesnt necessarily have to "sound" like a D tuning, We have other guitars that are tuned down so I was going for something that would fit but sound different. We have an acoustic player tuned down and I would be playing electric. Sounds like it might work.
Oh ok, then just play in the key of D and you'll be ok. Have fun. :)

By tuning your guitar down, you are puting less tension on the neck, so you will have less bow (or even a back bow) if you leave the truss rod the same as with standard tuning. If you are moving back and forth between the two, you will have to either compromise on the setup, or you will have to have it setup for one, and it will be off for the other. I would chose having it setup for the lower tuning. That way the action will be a litle high in standard tuning, but it wont buzz either way. If you set it up for standard, it is likely to buzz in the lower tuning.

As for physical damage to your guitar, I wouldn't worry about it. If you were tuning up a step, there might (MIGHT) be some problems, but I doubt it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

you might want to check your intonation after tuning down... and heavier bottom strings would be a plus, depending on what you're using now. if you dont, the strings will sound very weak, especially while recording. as stated above, adjust the truss rod to your need.

ryan

tuning down

It shouldn't bother the guitar but I would reccomend that if you like the way that tuning sounds either keep it that way or use a second guitar for alternate tuning. The problem that I found is that guitars are very responsive to tuning adjustments and they can sort of get used to being tuned a certain way. You may find that changing back and forth between tunings will make it harder to keep your instrument in relative tune.

Back