Tuning an Istrument (Reason+Cubase)

TMS

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you a few question about tuning.
I will be using Cubase as my main project DAW with a touch of Reason.
I will be recording live instruments (guitar/bass) and DI instruments on Reason.

So,
How do I get them both in tune?
Which tuner I should refer to?

How about co-projects? How do you get the instruments in tune then?

Thank you ;)

All tuners are universal. Every tuner that you'll ever use will tune to the same frequency. As long as you use a decent tuner and tune with care, all the instruments you track with should play in tune, as well as any MIDI instruments - those are tuned to the same frequency as well.

Thank you for your reply!

Im a big noob :)

When I play along with the songs videos on Youtube I almost always will have to tune my inst to each song.
For example following song - two different tunings:

and

Buy a tuner, then use the tuner at all sessions as your tuning reference, rather than just tuning to "each other".
If you leave the tuner set to same concert pitch (standard is A 440 Hz)....you can record sessions that are weeks/months apart, and they should all be in tune.

Not everyone uses a tuner, and sometimes people will tune up/down intentionally....or sometimes the videos are just off because people messed something up during conversions, and the pitch was changed slightly.

Reactions: TMS
There are also lots of recorded songs that are tuned to something other than 440... It can be used to add dimension to a set list and lots of people employ the practice... Try opening a piano from reason and play along with with five different recorded songs.. There will be at least one where you can't find any key that will line up... There is a section on the NN19 that is labeled Pitch... There is a knob for semi-tones and one labeled fine... You can dial it in with these two knobs and then you will be able to match the song... But keep in mind that each song can be different... Not everyone tunes to 440... Keep searching and you'll see what I mean... Sometimes you'll play with a guy who tunes by ear and his guitar can be in tune to itself, but if you're tuned to 440, then no note will match without bending... Make sure all instruments are tuned to each other or if someone is playing something with a set tuning like a piano, then the other instruments must match that... I hope that I'm making sense... Think of how many degrees of semi tone adjustment are between a b and c for instance!!

Thank you, brett
That does make sense.
Before I asked this question, It did not :)

I got myself this tuner, which has instrument input. Seem to be doing a good job.
Anyone using it?

tuner.jpg

Back