Tuners for Gibson guitars

Codmate

Hi there,
I have some nice locking tuners (Schaller style) on my Strat and was wondering what tuners people would suggest as an upgrade to my Les Paul Studio as, although the 'Gibson Deluxe' tuners work fine, I'd prefer something that feels as solid as the ones on my Strat.
I also really like the locking feature - it saves so much hassle when changing strings!

BTW - I'm planning on getting an ES335 soon - I assume the same tuners would work for both?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Yeah, same tuners will work for both.

Personally, I would suggest going with the Gotoh 510 locking tuners, but if you've read any post I've made on tuners you would know that. Allparts caries the full sized 3-on-a-side locking tuners, which also have an 21:1 tuning ratio which means that it is easier to get your tuning more precise. But they are fairly expensive. Worth it though.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:

Personally, I would suggest going with the Gotoh 510 locking tuners, but if you've read any post I've made on tuners you would know that. Allparts caries the full sized 3-on-a-side locking tuners, which also have an 21:1 tuning ratio which means that it is easier to get your tuning more precise. But they are fairly expensive. Worth it though.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Ditto...I like the ratio because you can really zone in on the pitch without a lot of up and down, back and forth etc. They also hold their pitch consistently which is more than can be said for the stock Gibson machines which tend to be inconsistent from one tuner to the next as far as stability.

Light said:

Light

M.K. Gandhi

For the sake of making a similar thread, would these tuners work with an esp LTD? I don't know much about tuners, just that mine suck. Thanks

-Elliot

elenore19 said:
For the sake of making a similar thread, would these tuners work with an esp LTD? I don't know much about tuners, just that mine suck. Thanks

-Elliot

510's of some sort would, but I don't remember what that guitars headstock is like. If it needs minis, well I have yet to find anyone who stocks three-on-a-side locking minis (and I've looked - that is what I use on my guitars, and I have to custom order them). Allparts DOES, however, carry the non-locking minis, which are also great gears. There is no gear on the market which is made as well as the 510's though, really. The machining is light years better than all the others, and they just flat out work, which is a really nice change from most of the other gears on the market.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Thanks Light!
I don't care about expense - just want my babies to have the best ;)

The only trouble seems to be finding somebody selling them here in the UK. I just found a 'store' on ebay though:
Are these the right ones?
http://tinyurl.com/qye7b

BTW - would I need to get a luthier to fit them? I'm alright with very basic setup stuff, but I'm not comfortable drilling holes in my guitars.

I have put sperzels on my Lp (and on my previous studio LP). You will need to do some work on the headstock but they work really well !.

Codmate said:
Thanks Light!
I don't care about expense - just want my babies to have the best ;)

The only trouble seems to be finding somebody selling them here in the UK. I just found a 'store' on ebay though:
Are these the right ones?
http://tinyurl.com/qye7b

BTW - would I need to get a luthier to fit them? I'm alright with very basic setup stuff, but I'm not comfortable drilling holes in my guitars.

Well, those don't appear to be the locking ones, but they would still be a major upgrade from the gears that came with the guitar. You would need to drill one small hole (a 1/16" bit works fine) for each gear, and you would be able to see the two old holes (which is only a cosmetic problem, not a structural problem).

If you want the locking ones, you might need to get them from the US and pay the import tax (unless you have a friend who is coming over from the states, of course).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back