"tube"/"warmth" rtas.

ace516

so I conducted a little experiment.
These following are 24bit/44.1kHz, 256kbps mp3s..

I ran a vocal track through an aux with the following plugins:
1 tube warmth plugin
2 soundhack compander
3 EQ

the rtas plugins compared were
- Antares AVOX WARM
- Massey Tape-Head
- Nomad Factory E-TubeTape Warmer
- Voxengo TubeAmp

vox1_01.mp3 is the unprocessed, dry vocal track recorded through a Demeter preamp into Pro Tools HD.

any thoughts/ideas/feedback? :o

My #1 pick would be the Antares AVOX. It was smooth the other plugs over did it in the upper mid harmonics. Second best imho was the Nomad product. But there is one you didn't test that would probably blow the others out the water. PSP Vintage Warmer 2.

You used a DIGITAL REPESENTATION of a tube device. I am not even going to try to list all the points along that line that something was probably lost. If your point was to compare apples to apples- digital rep. to digial rep, well, okay, you may have a valid comparison, but if you are suggesting that your comparison might tell anyone anything about how true analog, TUBE device of any purpose (pre-amp, compressor, etc.) you are just spittin' the wind.

this was a pointless experiment seeing as how i had already recorded the vocals through a TUBE preamp. (Demeter :eek:)

BUT the reason why I did so was because before i run it through a compressor, i like to drive the vocals just a bit ..
call me crazy, but it's a habit, and it works all too good for me.
it might not do anything, it might bring out the vox just a bit, but i am not about to throw away that technique when i've had no complaints.

for me, personally, it'd have to be between massey and avox.

Last edited:
Back