tube ultragain

pntsmillion

has anyone gotten a cool sound out of the very inexpensive, behringer tube ultragain preamp?
is this just cheap junk (like i new i should not have bought it), or can i squeeze the money out of it?
tell me please...

pntsmillion said:
has anyone gotten a cool sound out of the very inexpensive, behringer tube ultragain preamp?
is this just cheap junk (like i new i should not have bought it), or can i squeeze the money out of it?
tell me please...

Hi pntsmillion

The 'valve' in there, as I discovered after buying it and reading reviews which came along later, isn't part of the gain stage - it's a dial up 'effect' which adds a bit of grit to the sound if you want it.
I used it for recording vocals on my album, and they turned out alright.
It has a little bit of hissy self-noise when you really ramp up the gain, so finding a good balance between the Mic gain pot and the output level dial is the key.
I found it to be a pretty good bit 'o gear, IMO.

There's a lot of people out there who have had problems with Behringer gear now that they are all mass-manufactured in China with seemingly less than acceptable quality control being imposed on the production line.
Depending on whether or not you have a unit that has been properly QC'd will depend on how happy you are with it.
I seem to have been lucky with mine....so far! :)

Dags

Back