Tube preamp

one guy

Whats the best bang for the buck when it comes to tube pre amps as of now this is my setup Yamaha rgx312-marshall mg250 dfx-sm57-tascam dp01fx, and for vocals and acoustic im using an apex 235- dp01fx. i also use the pickup on the acoustic and record it as two tracks. so even tho the tascam has built in phantom i think my setup would bennifit from so pre's any suggestions?

Well not sure if it's great but I use a PreSonus Tube Pre for 100 bucks. Then I change the factory tube out with another 12ax7 (or whatever) for about 16 bucks. I think it sounds great especially on vocals and acoustic. The Tube Pre offers phantom power, a dB pad, 60hz rolloff, and phase switch. It's also got a pretty analog meter which makes you feel like your studio is cooler than it is.

Whats the best bang for the buck when it comes to tube pre amps
IMO/E, there is no such thing as "bang for the buck" with tube preamps. "Cheap" and "tube" in one sentence typically leads to "crap" in the next.

TUBES do NOT equal "tube sound" -- Never has, never will. Tube preamps don't mean "warm sound" (especially cheesy, starved-plate, could replace the tube with paper clips designs) and you should probably avoid 90% of them under a reasonable dollar amount.

THAT SAID -- if you're looking for "cheap" and "reasonable" then go with a M-Audio DMP3. No tubes (thank God...) and an actually decent preamp circuit.

Hey John....
I know someone that's practicaly giving away one of those older Aphex 1100 tube pres which use the low voltage tube approach...ever have a chance to try one?
I've seen a lot of folks say they are pretty good pres...but that whole "tube-essence, thermionics" thing always turned me off.
I've got nice pres...just wondering if it's even worth getting the 1100 for any purpose....or would it just be rack filler? ;)
I don't need another dog in my racks...already cleard out some of that kind of crap. :D

I've been looking for a good tube pre myself and from what I've read the ART would be a good choice. I hope to get one in the near future.

IM leaning towards a pair of ART someone in my city has a pair for sale for 50 bucks

Those aren"t real tube preamps .... Just because something has a tube in in doesn"t meant that it"s a tube preamp .....

Tubes get to their proper opperating point when run at 150v - 250v + , these tubes are run at like 12v which means that they don"t actually do much amplification and because of that they have no headroom and just cause distortion (they call that distortion "Tube Warmth" , which is just a marketing gimmic) ....

Most of the amplification in these units is actually solid state and these units sound better with the tube part turned all the way down.....

The only thing I have found these units sort of good at is from a DI for Bass/Guitar recording ........

If you want a real tube preamp you are looking at spending at least $500 because the cost of the parts to build a real tube preamp are very expensive .......

Cheers

Back