Tube Pre upstream of POD

Mountaineer

I read an article in GP this month where it was suggested to plug into a tube pre-amp like an ART or Blue Tube then into POD or J-Station for a more defined vintage tone. Has anybody tried this? I don't have a tube pre, but I'd sure like to hear the results from someone hear who could give it a whirl. Note that the article said to turn the gain down on the POD, or amp modeler of your choice, for best results.

Regards,
PAPicker

It was an interesting article in GP, especially because I've been singing the praises of the Sansamp PSA-1 for a long time. It's pretty obvious that the author favors it too.

I do use a tube or solid state preamp with the Sansamp and the Bass Pod. Sometimes I go into the pre's first and sometimes it works better after, just depends on the sound you are going for. However, sometimes going directly into the recorder works best. It's just one of those things where you have to constantly experiment.

I also agreed with the article about putting an overdrive or distortion in front of the amp simulator set to the cleanest sound possible. Good article but they should have gone into more detail.

Back