tube plugin or tube channel strip

trifidmaster

I want to have the tubesound. Shall I go for a decent tube channel strip or can I get excellent result with plugins (for SX3.1). If yes, what plugs shold I look for?

trif.

Maybe I have not experimented enough-but I have not had good experiences with tube plug-ins. They seem to muddy the sound more than replicate an actual tube preamp.

I would like to upgrade to a Presounus Eureaka strip but I have been using ART mp opl into my computer and when I record with Tascam 488. They are okay. I've read reviews of them on harmony central where people say they sound like $1000 preamps, same with levelars and tubepacs but damn if I hear it. They sound like what they are which is a $30 solid state pad with a tube in the signal path. I like ART MPs because they are very affordable, easy to use and figure out. Also if one drops off a table or breaks I don't have a heart attack. Can buy another one new for $39. I use the ART preamps all the times before my compressors and going into the computer just to get a louder, cleaner signal. I don't use the little limiter they have built in as it's like someone covering the mic with a sock.

If I had to chose between plug in and cheap little art tube preamp would go with the art just don't push it hard so you don't get so much noise. I think the key to any preamp is taking easy with them

mustang,
thanks for the words.

I also could not get from the plugs what I could get from a simple tube line amp. But i like to hear other's experience and advices.

I need a unit for stereo LINE signals.

trif.

I would like to point out that a plugin at no point goes through a tube....................it emulates the sound of, but to get the best out of the "tube" sound go get a channel strip that's got tubes in it

there are some things plugins just can't do, alright if you don't have anything else but if it's a choice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>go shopping for your outboard

It depends really.
I know if you put a PSP VintageWarmer or MasterComp plugin against a Behringer tube pre. The Behringer would get spanked by those plugins.

People need to keep in mind that software comes in good and bad quality. Just as hardware does.

Though I do believe that with current technology, the best hardware is better than the best plugins.

tarnationsauce2 said:
It depends really.
I know if you put a PSP VintageWarmer or MasterComp plugin against a Behringer tube pre. The Behringer would get spanked by those plugins.

People need to keep in mind that software comes in good and bad quality. Just as hardware does.

Though I do believe that with current technology, the best hardware is better than the best plugins.

behringer......................I did read you swearing at profesionalism

Keiffer said:
really, what is the expectation on these types of plugins?

I've not heard a tube plugin that sounded or responded much of anything like real tube gear. It's an imitation, not the real thing. If you want a tube sound, buy gear that has tubes in it.

Which is not to say that "tube" plugins won't have uses. Just don't expect that you are getting a real tube sound.

Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the conclusion that you needed some "tube" equipment. If its because tubes make things warm, fat, smooth and pleasing.... Be prepared to spend a lot of money. Also be aware that the majority of the equipment out there that generally fits those descriptions are not tubed at all;)

xstatic said:
Also be aware that the majority of the equipment out there that generally fits those descriptions are not tubed at all;)

I agree. Some of the biggest sounding gear I've owned has not had tubes in it.

What's your budget, trif?

xstatic,
The story is long, but briefly
1: since my studio place is treated acoustically I can hear what I did not hear before.
2: I had a possibility to hear some synth/sampler tracks of mine (I am a midi composer) through a tube amp in my studio (for a limited time, I had to return the amp = it was class A). So, I consider that if I implement a tubed channel strip into my setup, I will get that sound.
3: I have studied physics/electronics/music...and read an extensive article about tube vs Si and and I believe in that article (www.milbert.com/tstxt.htm).

SonicAlbert
My budget is between 500-1000 Euro , and I need a stereo unit.

trif.

Was the stuff you heard before run through and instrument amplifier as in one with a speaker? If so, this is where the greatest change will come (for good or bad). If you just want big beefy and warm, then solid state is probably going to get there the quickest ( think Neve, vintage Trident etc...) Those are all solid state builds:)

For a great tube design though, you would be looking at Pendulum, DW Fearn, Summit etc... The Demaria DI's are pretty cool though as well as the avalon DI's.

I've got 8 channels of the TL Audio (HHB in the USA) preamps, 4 channels of their EQ and a stereo compressor. I really like the way their stuff sounds on drums and bass, but don't care much for how it handles much else. At $200-250/channel, it's not a bad way to get that "tube" sound without spending big bucks.

The Electro Harmonics tube preamp sounds amazing on toms but not on much else so far as I've seen. ART has a really nice tube compressor that I use on every session - usually on vocals and sometimes on bass.

Sebatron makes some decent priced tube units that may be in your pricerange. And they are "tube"; not "t00b".

I'm afraid adding tubes to your signal chain is not going to be the Holy Grail you're looking for. :eek:

Funds may be better spent learning mixing techniques. :)

Back