tube head for sparkling clean?

bubbleboy

Hi there. I am in the market for a tube amp that has a great clean channel. I play fender strats and i play punk rock through fuzz boxes, but I really want something that can make the strat shine on the clean too. i play clean a lot too. marshalls are not an option. this would be a long-term investment for me - for use in small-medium venues, as well as studio.

I am leaning towards a mesa boogie Mark IV head or a Mesa dual rectifier solo head. Does anyone know which would have a better clean channel? Guitar center claims the dual rec is the way to go, but I wonder if that's just because they have that in stock but not the mark IV, and of course they're too lazy to go the extra mile.

If I had a choice, I'd get a fender prosonic or a fender tone-master, but those are too hard to find in head form, and I don't feel like taking a chance on something like that in used condition off ebay. amps are too important.

and yes - i do need to get a head vs. a combo. many thanks for your input.

Hi there. I am in the market for a tube amp that has a great clean channel. I play fender strats and i play punk rock through fuzz boxes, but I really want something that can make the strat shine on the clean too. i play clean a lot too. marshalls are not an option. this would be a long-term investment for me - for use in small-medium venues, as well as studio.

I am leaning towards a mesa boogie Mark IV head or a Mesa dual rectifier solo head. Does anyone know which would have a better clean channel? Guitar center claims the dual rec is the way to go, but I wonder if that's just because they have that in stock but not the mark IV, and of course they're too lazy to go the extra mile.

If I had a choice, I'd get a fender prosonic or a fender tone-master, but those are too hard to find in head form, and I don't feel like taking a chance on something like that in used condition off ebay. amps are too important.

and yes - i do need to get a head vs. a combo. many thanks for your input.

I personally would choose a Mark IV over a dual rec, but I'm not thinking about clean tone.

The first name I would have pulled off the top of my head would be Fender for a good clean sound. I'm sure there's better options but I really like them for that. They are just a little pricey. But I personally wouldn't worry massively about getting a used one. Those things are built to take a lot of hammering. Might need to stick some new tubes in them. Just make sure if you use ebay, that you buy from someone reputable and you should be ok.

To be fair though, I have a strat, and I find that it sounds beautiful clean when I simply plug it directly into the back of my hifi. I haven't done that in a few years though.

Mesa Dual Rec's are not known for their clean sounds. Guitar Center is blowing smoke up your ass. A Peavey Classic head would be a good choice if you want some good cleans. I haven't tried that other Mesa you mention but I'm sure it has better cleans than the Dual Rec.

If you want a REALLY nice amp head that is custom built, look into a Joe Twist made amp. You won't find him online but I can get you in contact with him. He makes fantastic amps that are hand wired. Great cleans and mean dirties. He can do any wattage you want.

thanks for all the input. man - i certainly do love that fender deluxe reverb.

i had not thought of peavey or carvin. thanks!

I play the Dual Rec and if has a great clean, so long as you dont want to get forever more screaming loud with it.

An old blackface Fender head (Bandmaster, Bassman, etc) will probably cost you less than a new Boogie. And that's THE REFERENCE for clean tone. If you want cleaner than that, just get a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Back