tube combo opinions

mojovoodoo

i am sure this has been done over and over, i was just wondering about everybody's thoughts on mid level tube combo amps, like the price range from about $300 to $500. i am trying to look at all of my options for my next purchase (i know the budget ain't much, but i am a poor working musician) i definitely know what i like, and what i like is way out of my price range. i personally do like the way a bassman or an old ampeg sounds, or the boutique small companies, like a buddah, or a badcat. but these are too expensive , and i notice that companies like traynor, crate, peavey, epiphone are putting out reasonably priced tube combos that look interesting enough. anyone have any personal experiences with these newer "wannabe boutique" tube combos? i mean, yeah, i am gonna go try out as much as i can, but still it's nice to hear other people's personal issues ahead of time, like if one amp falls apart after 3 months and so on. thanks for sharing :confused:

I've tested a traynor tube combo, not sure of the model but it was a 2/12. And I was quite impressed, it had a sharp chimelike mid when clean and still maintained that sweet moan when overdriven. It screamed tube quality yet still had a strong presence that would stand up well when recorded. You know yorkville amps are built like tanks so given the sweet tone and decent craftmanship I would consider a Yorkville first.

Traynor's 2x12 is the YCV80, and I've had one for about 3 years now. I absolutely love it. Great tone for a great price. Of course the price is $300 higher now than when I bought it, but it still gives the bigger name brands a run for their money and they're still cheaper. Definitely give one a try if you get a chance and see if you agree.

check out a carvin nomad, all tube 50w tweed and sound awesome, I own the little brother of the nomad (the V16)like the nomad its very doobie brothers/joe walsh sounding and the legacy 1/2 stack which is a screamer and yes they do sound as good in person as it does on the website.

This is gonna seem wierd, but you oughta check out the PIGNOSE tube amps.
I picked up the 40 watt version for $175 used. Came stock w/ 10" spkr but I moded the cab to accept a 12" scorpion. I can hear some of you groaning . This amp kicks bootay with all the tone you could ask for at any price. Side by side, it sounded as good as my pal's TwoRock . Was he pissed????

chazba

chazba said:
This is gonna seem wierd, but you oughta check out the PIGNOSE tube amps.
I picked up the 40 watt version for $175 used. Came stock w/ 10" spkr but I moded the cab to accept a 12" scorpion. I can hear some of you groaning . This amp kicks bootay with all the tone you could ask for at any price. Side by side, it sounded as good as my pal's TwoRock . Was he pissed????

chazba

actually, i was thinking of checking one out. how is the break up on that amp? do you need humbuckers to get a good distortion?

all in all i guess as far as my amp search, i think i am wanting way too much. i want to get a variety of tones, from queens of the stone age to johnny guitar watson, and i know there ain't no small combo that will get that variety. all the players the hear me play say i should stay with fender (i do all my country gigs on a small 1968 bronco) but the fenders that i want are way out of my budget. i just want a good solid tone, and i think i am asking way too much for such little money. tomorrow i am gonna try out a peavey delta blues w/ a 15" speaker for $300. i used to own one with 4 10's, and i was pretty satisfied with that. anyone got an opinion on that? thanks :o

Back