Tube Amp With Nice Clean Sound?

JPXTom

Looking for a nice clean tube amp to run pedals through...im trying to see which is best for around the 500-700 dollar range...used/new..I've been thinking these lately:

-Vox Ac30(does the ac15 just have a clean sound, or more of a distorted sound?)
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Orange Tiny Terror
-Peavey Classic 30
-Crate Palamino

Any others would be great..im really not too sure about tube amps, since i like modeling stuff..but ive been trying to see whats out there in both worlds.

Anyone have their 2 cents on this? Not to be annoying, but im just trying to get some ideas...and amps like oranges i cant really try out so im trying to find whats best...any videos/samples of any amps would very much be appreciated as well.

Anyone have their 2 cents on this? Not to be annoying, but im just trying to get some ideas...and amps like oranges i cant really try out so im trying to find whats best...any videos/samples of any amps would very much be appreciated as well.

Well, my 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb has an incredible glassy clean sound with my Strat, but it's not for sale... ;^)

But seriously, the BFDR reissues are pretty close to the original, and you might find a used one in your price range.

where is lt. bob?:confused: anyway. fender is famous for a sweet clean tube sound.

you say you want to put pedals to it tough...and you like modelers. (i do too.) if you are just looking for a good clean tube amp to run a modeler to then get something with a little power so it doesn't saturate too easy when you crank it. if you want a sweet, shimmery clean then go for the fender.

i run a tonelab LE to the clean channel of a carvin V3 and that sumbitch rocks. all the amps you list are gonna sound different though and you really should plug your ax and pedals into them and check them out yourself. i ordered the carvin knowing i could send it back if i didn't like it so i took a chance. normally i'd never buy an amp unless i played through it first.

personally, i'd lean toward the fender, peavey, then the vox. gotta love that vox crunch though if you want the option for some good tube overdrive. ;)

good luck.

id love a vox except i hate the fact you cant switch between top boost and normal/clean...and by pedals..i mean single pedals..delay, distortion, flange...and more down the road...cause right now im either gonna go like a fender deluxe(like 400/500 used)1x12, plus a few essential pedals(300-400 bucks) or get like a line 6 flextone 1x12(500-600) and the shortboard (200-300)..both are similar in price with the fender plan being almost a bit cheaper..depending on an actual used price, obv. But thats kinda where i am at...nice tube clean amp to run distortion through and effects, or a line 6 flextone with a bajillion options.

for a AWESOME clean sound.........check out the Carvin Legacy.

for the price....it can't be beat

The Tiny Terror and the Palamino aren't gonna do clean.
The Hot Rod Deluxe is a nice amp ..... at 40 watts it'll kick pretty good though.
Is this for a gigging amp? If so, the Deluxe or the Classic 30 would be nice if the clean sound is what you most want to get. The Vox ..... not quite as clean but still, a nice clean sound though I still think the Fender's the king of clean.
If it's for recording volumes, I just bought a Fender Blues Jr. Really nice little amp .... 12" speaker .... 15 watts ..... get's that nice Fender clean and has a master ..... treble, bass and mids and a reverb! .... Around $450 new, I got mine for $250

Personally, even if you want to go the modeler route, I'd get a good tube amp to run it thru. It'll counteract the sterility that modelers seem to have. For my most important gigs I use my stompboxes but for most gigs I just run my Rocktron Utopia thru either my Tiny Terror or my Blues Jr.
Both sound good but the Fender is WAY cleaner.

for a AWESOME clean sound.........check out the Carvin Legacy.

for the price....it can't be beat

+1 The Legacy has one of the sweetest clean channels that I've ever used. It also has a killer distortion channel.

If oyu are going to go with a Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe, try em out first with your pedals at the store. Between my brother and I, we play through a Blues Deluxe and Blues DeVille, respectively - his amp has very little low-end, and mine has a lot (Deluxe, little; DeVille; lot). Might be different from amp to amp, but I'd think a complete lack of bass would be a bad thing :D

Of course, the Hot Rods might be different. AND, the downsides to the DeVille are that it costs more, and weighs about 500 pounds since its got 4 10" speakers loaded in on top of the heavy tube head. Its 65 watts tube power though, and has held its own over a 60 piece horn + rhythm group & a crowd of 45,000 in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse (and the volume knob was at 4/12 :eek:)

Laney makes a killer amp for cleans.. and the crunch sounds great too.

I've often thought it sounded like a nice Fender Twin clean with a Marhaboogie crunch. :D

Looking for a nice clean tube amp to run pedals through...im trying to see which is best for around the 500-700 dollar range...used/new..I've been thinking these lately:

-Vox Ac30(does the ac15 just have a clean sound, or more of a distorted sound?)
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Orange Tiny Terror
-Peavey Classic 30
-Crate Palamino

Any others would be great..im really not too sure about tube amps, since i like modeling stuff..but ive been trying to see whats out there in both worlds.

What do you mean by a nice "clean" tube amp? One with a clean channel that stays very clean, or one with a "nice" clean channel that will break up a bit gorgeously?

The former's a bit tough - evidently the Peavey JSX was designed with exactly what you have in mind, taking pedals well and staying clean, but that's way out of your range. Short of that, it's not tube, but there are few amps that are simutaneously more hideous looking and beautiful sounding than a Roland Jazz Chorus. See if you can cop one used, perhaps?

In the later school, amps that have great cleans that break up very dynamically, I was actualyl rather impressed with the Crate you mentioned when I played one. Surprisingly so, considering who makes it. :lol: The Peavey Classic 30's another great opetion, and while I briefly owned and dug the Hot Rod Deluxe, if all you need is the clean channel then I'd say pass and grab a Blues Jr.

And, if you want to kiss your price range goodbye and go all out, I've never played a better clean than a Mesa Lone Star. Honestly, it's the only time I've ever plugged into an amp, powered it up on the clean channel, and it didn't even occur to me to check out the gain channel for a solid half hour. Orgasmic isn't the word.... On a cheaper budget, now that it's been discontinued you might be able to grab a used Mesa F-30 for $500, which mates a wonderful Fender-y clean channel with the sort of gain channel that just might get you to swear off modelers. :)

What do you mean by a nice "clean" tube amp? One with a clean channel that stays very clean, or one with a "nice" clean channel that will break up a bit gorgeously?

The former's a bit tough - evidently the Peavey JSX was designed with exactly what you have in mind, taking pedals well and staying clean, but that's way out of your range. Short of that, it's not tube, but there are few amps that are simutaneously more hideous looking and beautiful sounding than a Roland Jazz Chorus. See if you can cop one used, perhaps?

In the later school, amps that have great cleans that break up very dynamically, I was actualyl rather impressed with the Crate you mentioned when I played one. Surprisingly so, considering who makes it. :lol: The Peavey Classic 30's another great opetion, and while I briefly owned and dug the Hot Rod Deluxe, if all you need is the clean channel then I'd say pass and grab a Blues Jr.

And, if you want to kiss your price range goodbye and go all out, I've never played a better clean than a Mesa Lone Star. Honestly, it's the only time I've ever plugged into an amp, powered it up on the clean channel, and it didn't even occur to me to check out the gain channel for a solid half hour. Orgasmic isn't the word.... On a cheaper budget, now that it's been discontinued you might be able to grab a used Mesa F-30 for $500, which mates a wonderful Fender-y clean channel with the sort of gain channel that just might get you to swear off modelers. :)

Wouldn't go with a Blues Junior if you need LOUD clean channel... the one I had broke up quickly, and not very much higher than room-volume in my apartment. It also had uneven bass response as the volume went up. I'd think if you want loud, clean tube tone, you should get a tube amp with a hefty wattage, since it will take more power to overdrive the tubes and speakers. Like I said, the Blues DeVille on clean channel is deafening and still clean. Just my experience, others may have had different experiences with the 'Junior :)

Wouldn't go with a Blues Junior if you need LOUD clean channel... the one I had broke up quickly, and not very much higher than room-volume in my apartment. It also had uneven bass response as the volume went up. I'd think if you want loud, clean tube tone, you should get a tube amp with a hefty wattage, since it will take more power to overdrive the tubes and speakers. Like I said, the Blues DeVille on clean channel is deafening and still clean. Just my experience, others may have had different experiences with the 'Junior :)

:lol: Sorry, this is a recording forum, I sort of automatically assumed it'd be for studio use. You're right, of course - if you want somehting to gig with the 15 (I think...?) watts of the Blues Jr. might be a little low. Recording, though, it'd be perfect.

I vote for the fender aswell. Everytime I see a band on stage with a great clean tone I can look behind the player and see a fender! I bandmate of my swore by his hot rod. I use to be a ss (in the 80's) then a modeler finally I could afford tubes and now I'll never go back. I'll still a modeler for quick demo-ing but that's all.

:lol: Sorry, this is a recording forum, I sort of automatically assumed it'd be for studio use. You're right, of course - if you want somehting to gig with the 15 (I think...?) watts of the Blues Jr. might be a little low. Recording, though, it'd be perfect.

You are quite right - with a single 12" and 15 watts of power, it would do just fine for recording. I'm just used to the tight budgets of most around here who are looking for amps that serve every purpose possible (and then some) :p

I have a Deluxe Reverb and a Blues Jr., and for a bright clean sound the Jr. can't even come close to the Deluxe, even at low volume. The Jr. is a great little amp, but clean and bright it ain't.

Back