Tube Amp Troubleshoot

matty_boy

I got an old amp from a friend. It makes no sound except a distant hum when hooked up, and all 4 tubes (2 12AX7A pre and 2 6V6 power) don't glow so much as just have a point of light in the middle. The amp was dropped about 3 inches while it was turned on. Any idea what the likelihood is that it is just the tubes that are gone? If you strongly suspect that it might be some other problem, go ahead and let me know. I would like to get this thing going, and I don't live anywhere near a tech, so it would be a while until I can get it to one, buy I could order tubes if need be.

thanks

Matty

Try and find a copy of Jack Darrs (sp last name, could be Dars??}
Guitar Amplifier repair book, very good for step by step hunting down of tube amp problems with very little exp. or tools. I have it but it is lent out right now. You might be able to find a copy in a large library or they may be able to get you a copy or look for it on the net. Excellent book for old amps with lots of schematics etc.

Be careful though, lots of voltage flying around in there and the large electrolytic capacitors can hold a pretty good charge to send you flying.
It really is a very good book though. It was written just after the transistor amps started coming out and has little info on them.

I found 8 chapters (the whole book?) online in .pdf format .here . Thanks a bunch dragonworks. I guess I have some reading to do.:D

Back