Tube amp techies

matty_boy

I just got ahold of this late sixties/early seventies traynor bass amp. It doesn't work, and there was a capacitor (32uf-40v) rolling around in the chasis when I took it apart. I can even see where it was from. I have two questions.

1) would the absence of this cap cause the amp to not make any sound at all?

2) how much would a new cap cost me. It's good friday and no place is open to get a price quote.

btw, the cap is original and is blue. It was located near the output tube sockets. I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks in advance for the help

Matty

There's no way a cap could just come unsoldered and fall out of the eyelets... So does it look like this cap was purposely cut out (e.g. are pieces of the leads still soldered into the eyelets)? Or are the leads broken at the cap like it was wiggled one too many times?

In either case, if it's not in the circuit, it could very likely cause the amp not to function depending on what it's for. At only 40v it's likely to be a coupling cap that could stop one of your stages from working.

Cost? Caps are cheap. Get yourself one from radio shack with the right value. It should be close on the uf rating 30-40uf and 40v or higher for the power rating (no lower). Then just make sure you have the right orientation - vs. + Looking at the other existing caps might give you a clue.

Good luck!

Thanks man. The wire was broken right at the cap, and the leads are still soldered on. There is a good chance that this is all that was wrong.

Thanks again

Matty

Back