Tube Amp Schematics

2lim

Hey everyone, I am looking for the simplest, low power tube amp schematic that i can find.

I recently played the first tube amp I have EVER been allowed to actually experiment with (Fender Deluxe 1x12) and goddamn, I almost shat myself. I love it! So essentially, I want a small tube power amp schematic that i can build, I dont care about the preamp channel, cause I can do that with transistors no problem, or buy a premade tube pre. I have found a few on the net, but wanted to know if anyone has ever built one, and if so, how it worked.

Around 1-5 watts is ideal!

Simon

ps
I know I wont get fender deluxe tone out of this, but something to fool around with, would be nice!

Don't know if this is entirely what you're looking to do, but it may give you a starting point. ;)

schematics heaven

(P.S. If anyone knows of any useful / easy to understand (you know, in layman's terms) resources on how to properly read and apply the information in these schematics, it would be awesome if you could point me in that general direction. Any good books? Thanks!) :D

Yeah, ax84 is what you are after.

And by the way, you need tubes all the way to get what you are after. I'm guessing here, but I'll bet the things you liked about that amp were the dynamics, control, and pick responsevness that you had, along with the tone, of course. Those things come as much from the preamp as from the power amp, not to mention the way they interact.

Oh, and I've built two amps. They work fine. Make absolutely CERTAIN you know what you are doing before you start, because it is very possible to kill yourself if you don't. There is a lot of current stored in some of the caps in a tube amp, even long after it has been turned off.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Sweet, that head is sooooooooooo mine. I went looking locally for small tube amps, but they are all at least 500$(cdn). I have built some small shit, and realise the potential power of capacitors and the inner working of most things, so I figured i would just build one for myself. Of course, there is no way I would ever justify the time and effort when a cool little tube setup can be had for 100usd.

Thanks guys!

Simon

I second that. There's no way to build it by hand and even come close to the price. Me and a old Tube-head priced piece parts and it was a no brainer. The transformers, tubes, tube sockets....game over.

This doesn't even include time and energy which may or may not be enjoyable. No brainer on the time of the project.

You get the cabinet thrown in too...another cost we didn't even get to.

And one can learn the functionality from the schematic and design books, and apply to this schematic (this Eppip Jr is also a great tube beginners schematic, imo.) if you want to see what cathode-bias looks like, or filament and grid. Grab a book from the library and it will probably show a similar circuit as the schematic timboz linked.

and like someone said buying it reduces the risk blowing your finger off by a slight slip of the finger. which reminds me of my college instructor who used to work on TV's and then held up his 3 fingers....blown off from a capacitor.

Back