Tube amp making a roaring "wind" sound.

Kramer

Peavey Classic 30 Tube Amp is making a roaring wind type sound when low notes are played....I can reproduce the sound by tapping one of the power tubes with a piece of paper ,so it must be a tube being rattled by low end fequencies........anybody ever had this problem?The tubes are in the sockets tight and the little wire bracket is in place around the tube.

Any ideas of where I should look further to see how this tube is being rattled by low end response?

Thanks.

Tube rattle is supposed to be common in Classic 30s. Also the "howling reverb". It sounds to me like you're describing the "howling reverb". If you're using reverb, try turning it down.

I used to play a Classic 30. I had the howling reverb and I also heard a high pitched rattle. Sort of like little metal pieces jangling around. I figured that was tube rattle.

fprod south said:
Tube rattle is supposed to be common in Classic 30s. Also the "howling reverb". It sounds to me like you're describing the "howling reverb". If you're using reverb, try turning it down.

I used to play a Classic 30. I had the howling reverb and I also heard a high pitched rattle. Sort of like little metal pieces jangling around. I figured that was tube rattle.

It doesnt have anything to do with the reverb.It sounds like a damn wind machine with or without the reverb on.I can apply a little pressure upwards on the tubes with a rolled up towel as my brother plays the guitar and that stops the sound from happening.....gotta be something loose in there where the tube mounts.

arcaxis said:
I found this on a search for "thermionic noise vacuum tube". This noise could be described as a rushing wind. If you've ever cranked the volume on an old amp you can sometimes hear a hiss in the background. And solid state devices can also exhibit this. Possibly the tubes are heading south. Gradual loss of vacuum displaced by gas may cause the tube to do strange things. I had found some other sites delving into this, but they were ladened with some pretty scary looking calculus to explain the effect !! Not sure if this could be related to a loose socket or not, unless the looseness is interupting connection to one of the elements in the tube.

"Walter Schottky (1886-1976) discovered the random noise due to the irregular arrival of electrons at the anode of thermionic tubes that is called "shot noise" (Schottky effect) in 1914 while studying under Planck in Berlin. Schottky was Swiss, but he was educated and spent his professional career in Germany. In 1919 he invented the first multiple grid vacuum tube, the tetrode. Schottky obtained multiple doctoral degrees, taught at universities from 1920 to 1927, and then worked for Siemans for nearly five decades. He was the first to note the existence of "holes" in the band structure of semiconductors, discovered the type of lattice vacancy known as the Schottky defect, and in 1938 created a theory that explained rectification at a metal/semiconductor interface."

Thanks for taking the time to look that up arcaxis!Much appreciated!;)

Im gonna change out all of the tubes and see what happens.I didnt wanna go that route unless I had no other choice.It's time to go that route now.....I dont have anything to lose.

Thanks again!

Kramer

Just wanted to confirm that it was indeed the tubes causing the sound of rushing wind.

New set of tubes and it works like a charm.

Last edited:
Back