Tube amp for gigging?

db51

Is that a wise choice? Are tube amps reliable enough to gig without a back-up?
I've read a few horror stories on tubes dying in the middle of a show, but I don't know how rare/frequent those are.

Your experience?

Every gig I've done in the last 15 years has been with the same old Fender amp. I've never had any problems with it, but I always carry a back up anyway, that just makes sense. Also, I have it serviced every year or so just to be sure.

Ditto. Millions of gigs are played every year w/ tube amps. There are bound to be horror stories, but no more so than w/ other kinds of amps. In fact the one time I've ever had major amp problems during a gig was with a solid state amp. That was 15 years ago, and I've never gigged with anything but a tube amp since, and never had any problems.
Doesn't matter what your gear is - it's always good to have a spare just in case. But a properly maintained tube amp is no more likely to break down than any other piece of gear.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

TWO WORDS..... MESA BOOGIE

i bought mine in 1980. it spent 6 years of full time gigging, and then many more years of weekend gigging....

never had a single problem.

that son of a bitch even fell off of a drum riser once, broke off a couple of the 5-band eg sliders, and still worked like a pro.

Back