tsr 8 need help

tsqair

greetings to all,
i recently purchased a mint tsr 8 (still in original box and packing) the man i bought it from said he was the original owner but never really used it.(and i believe him) (pristine) ofcoarse the capstan belt and the rubber rollers needed to be replaced ( which i have just done) o.k. so i put on a brand-new reel of tape and start testing..... hit play runs ... fine / hit stop .. stops fine o.k. so now i hit rewind;and "oh shit",.... i hit stop it really doesn't want to stop! it slows to a stop but then it immediatly starts to fastfoward; ok so now i hit stop again; and nothing it keeps fastfowarding until i turn off the power anybody have a clue?.... or do i bring it to my local tech who charges 250.00 just to look at it.
all the best,
tommy:eek:

Sorry if this is too basic, but is the tape threaded through the guides, rollers, heads correctly?

Cheers

Alan.

OK, something in the back of my mine is saying servo control, I think that this maybe just an adjustment that is needed. It could even be a tension problem.

Come on tech guys on the forum, someone will know.

Do you have the manual? as this has all the set up information.

If I get time over the next couple of nights (between sessions and sleep) I will look in the manual for my MSR16S which is similar in construction to a TSR8, I used to own a TSR8 many years ago and it was a great machine.

Cheers

Alan.

I checked out the MSR16S book and it does not mention the problem in the manual, however there are setup procedures for the reel brakes, servo controls, tape tension etc, which is beyond what I would tackle, I would take this problem to my tech, which is what you may need to do unless you have solved the problem.

Cheers

Alan.

i fixed it -tsr8

oh this is a good one! ...when i replaced the capstan belt ofcoarse the counter roller had to come off, unfortunatly when i reinstalled the counter roller i put the back servo pg plate part#23 on backwards; therefore the servo control couldn't read the movement of the roller so it completly screwed things up as stated in my first post. obviously i'm not a tech. im proud of the fact i lost no screws or parts lol... however its so important to really take your time when working on these machines
tommy

Back