TSR-8 How often should I be cleaning the heads? Tape issues?

Rickson Gracie

First off I decided to use TASCAM TSR-8 as the center of my home studio w/ an Oram T8 mixer. In a few test tracks I did in the last week I've noticed that I need to clean the heads almost every session or else I start losing signals in the tracks. I record hot but then the signal is low on output on certain tracks. The problem goes away after cleaning with 90% alcohol. When I clean the heads I can visually see a rusty brown stain on the white cotton. The stain isn't very dark but the discoloration is there.

The tape is about 4 years old. Is this sticky shed? Should I get new tape? Is this a calibration problem or some other adjustment or is it all just normal maintenance?

No matter which tape your using you should always clean the heads before each session.
All tapes leave a bit on the heads and it's not always visible - if it's there more dropouts will occur and the high frequencys will become less present. Also your machine will last much longer if you always clean it.

AFAIK there was a few badges of RMGI some years ago that suffered from heavy shedding, maybe you got one of those.

I think it depends greatly on the machine, tape type and wear pattern on the heads. Some combos might need cleaning every couple hours, others can run for days (even weeks) without really needing cleaning.

Yes I am aware that cleaning before each session is normal. I was just concerned with that shedding. I even see tape dust below the head on the face of the machine. I mean its not so bad that I can't use the machine but I was just curious that maybe a new roll of tape might be in order.

yes, i had one of those RMGI tapes that were shedding more than usual on my TSR8. RMGI sent me a new tape replacement, as i bought it new, but it was an old batch and i had the receipt. Other thing to check is your head wear pattern as if it is uneven from top to bottom, it may be amplifying the problem.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement tape and source?

Is it normal to see a brown stain on the cotton everyone you clean between sessions?

It could be the tape, but if the heads, lifters and guides are badly worn with sharp edges, that can be hard on any tape. Check the tape path for flat spots on any metal parts the tape touches. You can turn the tape guides to a smooth side. You can do it with the tape lifters as well, but be careful! I almost broke my lifter assembly trying to turn them because they're riveted to the sled. Tascam Parts doesn't carry the lifter assembly anymore.

I never had any problems with RMGI 911, but I only used the earliest batches, which I have a hunch were leftover stock from EMTEC. It was after that I heard people complaining about the shedding on RMGI. I've never bought any since. Except for those early sample batches from RMGI I stay away from it. I recommend new-old-stock BASF or EMTEC SM911 and SM468, new-old-stock Quantegy 456 and 406 and 3M/Scotch 206.

All the above tape runs clean on my TSR-8. I clean the heads before each session, but usually don't see much oxide if any on the cotton.

Clean the heads before and after each session, don't forget to also clean the guides as oxide left on the guides can come loose and go past the heads. On long sessions I used to have a cleaning break about every 2 hours.

The reason I cleaned after the session was to not leave oxide on the heads to cake on if we did not use the machine for a while, then the reason to clean before was to remove any dust that may have settled on the heads and guides while not in use. De-mag every week at least, and don't forget general maintenance, a tape machine is a mechanical beast and needs looking after.

I use Emtec / BASF 911 and it is the best, I bought boxes of it when they announced the shutdown I still have New Old Stock, I have not used any RMGI but if they have the manufacturing sorted and it's now the same that's what I would use. I don't get to use my tape machine as much as I would like too nowadays Sigh!

Alan.

Thanks Beck. Is eBay the best source for the tape you mentioned?

Yes, eBay is my usual source with a few exceptions. I've found deals at musicgoround.com and facebook marketplace, but mostly eBay. Right now in half-inch I have more BASF/EMTEC SM911 than anything else. I used to have more Ampex and Quantegy 456, but now have only about 10 of those in half-inch. I have 5 reels of EMTEC SM468 as well. And that's about it in half-inch. I had a bunch of 3M 206 and 207, but had to part with it due to the economy (Obamony... or whatever). I'm good for a long time though. It'll take me years to use what I have on hand now.

Just a quick aside on tape... I am currently using RMGI SM911 with my TSR-8 and I have had no problems with shedding. When was this a problem with this tape? I bought the tape I am currently using about 2 months ago, and have probably used it for about 20-25 recording/playback hours - I've had no problems. In fact, I haven't had any problems with RMGI since I started using it about 3 years ago (SM911 in 1/4" and 1/2"). I've heard that RMGI in general has a reputation for shedding (some studios don't accept it, etc.), but I have never really understood that. Am I missing something? Or is it just my lack of experience? :)

Yes I am aware that cleaning before each session is normal. I was just concerned with that shedding. I even see tape dust below the head on the face of the machine. I mean its not so bad that I can't use the machine but I was just curious that maybe a new roll of tape might be in order.

If you have that much visible dust below the heads, it's time to save what you can; and use better tapes.

Back