Trying to upgrade, any suggestions??

scottmusic22

I'm trying to upgrade from my AKG Perception 220 microphone and I'm willing to go up to $1000, help me out!
I actually LOVE the Perception, even though it's a cheap chinese condenser. It's bright and cuts right through a mix on vocals, but it has a bit of a grainy (or brittle but I wouldn't say it's harsh sounding) texture.
I want something equally bright and a little airy (the Perception has very little above 12k). I'm considering the Blueberry, but it might have a little more air and a little less brightness than I want. I'm mainly going to use it for vocals.
Suggestions?

Hi there,
I'm sure you'll get suggestions and they will be useful, but have you thought about maybe trying out some mics locally?

Is there a studio / friend's place / college / store that would let you road test a few?

I'm more of a dynamic guy but my limited experience would point me to oktava mk2/319 and Neumann TLM193 for condensers with natural high end. I've found those to be a little less in your face than some others.

Actually, if you have any desire to build up an arsenal those oktavas are worth the gamble for all they cost.

For a bright vocal mic in that range, I'd just grab an AKG C414. I prefer the XLS to the XLII, even though the XLII is supposed to be voiced for vocals. And actually, for less money, the discontinued C414B-ULS does just fine. If you like the Perception, you'll love the C414. Why not get the real thing, made in Austria, instead of a cheap Chinese attempt to copy it? It also is simply a great mic for acoustic guitars. percussion, woodwinds, anything where high end detail is desirable. Most of the other suggestions above reflect the desire for a more natural high end, and I appreciate that. It doesn't suit all voices. A minority does benefit from a brighter vocal mic, and I'm one of them. My personal poison is B.L.U.E. Kiwi, but that's out of the stated price range.

Not to hijack this thread but question. Preamp allows u to change the tone of the voice? Cuz it seems increasing the signal and then lowering the gains to keep from clipping doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with Richard Monroe that the AKG C414 should be on your short list.

However, I'd also add the sE4400A to the list as well. It's modelled after the C414 in terms of switchable patterns etc. and has a similar bright quality but with, to my ear, a smoother more natural sound.

Getting to the price range you're into, the other good advice is to find a place that will let you audition the mics you're interested in. Most proper professional deals (i.e. NOT Guitar Centre or similar) should be happy to.

Maybe it's an upgrade with your preamp that you are in search of!

I think you may be right! At least until I can afford a few great vocal mics anyway.. So what pre-amps would you recommend for $1000 and below? Are there any worth getting in that price range?

Back