trying to start computer recording

mojoshmoe

I would like to start recording with a computer. I have a Fostex DMT-8vL recorder, but its hard drive only holds five song programs. I'm looking for a way to save those songs (stored in eight tracks) so I can work on other songs without finishing the first five. I would also need to edit and master with the computer. I have no idea what computer to buy, what sound card, or what program. I've done a lot of research but my head is now jumbled and I need advice from a real person who knows what they're talking about.

This site is like a cup of Ginkgo Biloba tea
with some of my designer enhancements added for those with questions like your own.
Decide in advance at what resolution you need to record, and search around here for the equipment you'll need to accomplish this.
HDs under $200 now can hold many CDs worth of uncompressed .wav files.
You'll need ~5GB to do this with 8 tracks at just CD resolution. >16GB @ 24 bit/96KHz.

Well, any post that answers all your questions would be a very large post. There's a lot to consider. I normally wouldn't go out on a limb to recommend computer recording to anyone not already familiar with computers because I won't be there to help them when they have problems. But, since you are posting this message, don't you already have a computer? Anyway, there are various cheaper and easier solutions. You could get an ADAT, although you won't be able to edit like on a computer. You could get one of those new Boss BR8 recorders that record to 100MB Zip disks, if you don't mind the limitations. But it sounds like you have your mind set on a computer. An important question is: how much are you expecting to spend? A new computer itself might run you around $800-$900.

One good thing about computer recording is that you can use the computer for other things besides recording. So that is one thing to consider: what else do you want to do with it? Get a computer that can support everything you might want to do, including recording. Another thing to consider is whether or not you have any friends with computers. You may want to get the same type as them so you can share. By "type" I really mean Macintosh or PC. If you want a Mac you need to buy it from Apple. If you want a PC compatible, I recommend buying it from Dell. (www.dell.com) Yes, you can find cheaper computers. But Dell's prices are usually good, quality is very good, they select good components, they have good service, etc. My last two computers have been Dells.
The good news these days is that pretty much any new computer you get is going to have enough power to handle a lot of tracks. I use a 450 MHz computer and it is plenty. Today, new computers are usually at least 500 MHz or so. But if you want to use a lot of plug-in effects like reverb, more power is always better. I'd recommend making sure the CPU is Intel. Not that others won't work OK, but with Intel you'll be assured of compatibility. Plus, recording software uses floating point processing to do mixing and Intel tends to be better at floating point speed.
Another thing that may influence the type of computer you want is the recording software you want to use. For example, if you want to use Pro Tools, you'll need a Mac because Pro Tools only runs on a Mac. But as you said, you don't know what software you want yet. This is pretty much a matter of preference, though. But if there is some other factor that causes you to choose either Mac or PC, then you might get the computer first and figure out the software later. Many recording software companies have demo versions you can try out.

The sound card is usually something you can decide on later, after you get a computer. But of course, you need to consider the cost in your budget. You can get half-decent sound from even a $100 sound card. But to be more professional, you'll want to at least get something like the Event Gina for a little under $300. From what I hear, the GadgetLabs 8/24 is a really good at $500. (Another great thing about computer recording is that you can always upgrade pieces of it and add on.)

Anyway, that's a start, but it's by no means a complete answer. It would help if you provid more information about what you want to do and how much you expect to spend.

Jim

Thanks drstawl and JimH.
I will probably get a PC. I do know a bit about computers, but I don't have any experience with music software. From what I have read, I am leaning toward Cakewalk or Cubase. For a sound card, I don't know if they come with optical i/o's that I could connect to my digital eight-track or if I could find one with eight RCA jacks. As for price, I would rather not have to update later on (as if that is possible). I am willing to save and spend whatever is needed.
I'm looking for quality. Thanks

Hey, you should be able to buy a(7200rpm) 4 to 6 gig drive from any computer store for about $85 to $120. The reason for the price gap depends on whats in stock. They make 20 to 75gig drives now so the price will be standard for a audio drive for around $100. You can only install up to a 8.4gig drive in the dmt-8vl. You must have the v2 software(that is 9song partions instead of the standard 5 that came with the dmt8vl. I don't know if you have this or not(let me know?). If you don't just call 1-800-9-fostex. the upgrade is free you have to send them the old eproms(those are on a chip you have to remove from the motherboard when you open the machine. If you are tool handy you can do this, as well as install the drive yourself. I use a Fostex cr300 professional to backup and archive my music as well as mixdowns. This is the machine for you to have, if you can afford it its worth the time and money. I also back up to a sony dat( two machines i would not ever get ridd of my dmt-8vl or my sony DAT PCM-R300). You can pick up a dat for about $500, but its worth the extra money to buy the cr300 $900. with this you can make cd's archive and do mixdowns to cdrw's &cdr's if you dont like the mixdown erase and do it again like a tape deck or adat. Well i hope i dont sound like a big head, don't get me wrong i suffered a lot to get the little equipment i have some times not eating(heheheh). Just want you to do the right thing. i have already been down the paths of zip drives and adats, for the year 2000 its cdr's for demos, cdrw's for back up, Dat machines for master copys. As Fas as a PC and sound card. I use a midiman 2448 and soundblaser live value(soundcards) and any pentium 450 and above with at least 128mb should do. I am only speaking because I have the same setup that works fine for me so far. http://www.acidplanet.com/ArtistDetail.asp?ArtistName=Dkorg

Mojoshmoe: Sorry if I came off like I talked down to you too much. You obviously have some idea what you're doing already.

Probably you can try out the demos for Cubase and Cakewalk after you get a PC. It's hard to tell by reading because each one has its proponents and critics. But as soon as you try them out you'll know. (I use Cubase)

As for the optical interface in soundcards, I'm not too familiar with that so someone else will have to chime in. I believe cards with an ADAT optical interface are not uncommon, but I don't know about S/PDIF over optical. You may need to get the converter from Fostex to go to RCA.

Another issue is usually SCSI vs. EIDE hard drives, although there's not as much difference as there used to be. If money is no object, SCSI is better. But EIDE is just fine and is cheaper. If the computer vendor gives you the choice, and if it's only a few dollars more, you might want to go for a 7200RPM drive rather than a 5400RPM drive. That's what I did.

Jim

Back