Trying to Record like a BOSS

kkh961216

Well. Hi. I have a Blue Yeti pro, planning to upgrade coming september. Anyways, to the point. I recently made a post on how my voice died. It came back, thanks to the community's tips and help. Well, now I tried to record on this crappy USB mic of mine, and it turns out, recording is WAY different than live performances! can anyone tell me why? and while you're at it, could you also tell me what is better for vocals between a 300 $ USB mic or a 90$ XLR mic ?

I would go with an XLR mic -> audio interface any day over a USB mic. I don't really mess with USB mics at all or understand the technical side of how they convert analog sound to digital. I think the analog to digital conversion in an interface would be far better than a USB mic handling all of it. Again I'm not sure how it works technically. A high end USB mic may be quality, but there could be quite a few other factors that go into it.

Take the middle ground and pick up a Rode NT1-A condenser mic. Retails for around $200 and comes with an XLR cable and shock mount with attached pop filter. Plus, it sounds great. I have one and it's my go-to mic.

Thanks for the help(s)! After trying this mic, I think I would go for XLR anyday, too. Also, thanks for the recommendations! But I have a 2k budget from a very long time pleading/begging my parents. Maybe I can aim for a bit higher? but Rodes are one of my top choices for LDCs.

Thanks for the help(s)! After trying this mic, I think I would go for XLR anyday, too. Also, thanks for the recommendations! But I have a 2k budget from a very long time pleading/begging my parents. Maybe I can aim for a bit higher? but Rodes are one of my top choices for LDCs.

I'd still stay with the recommendations or something similar. Those are both great products and unless you need a lot of inputs/outputs or you're recording a band or choir, you won't need much more. I'd use the extra to get yourself a decent DAW with all the bells and whistles, maybe a midi controller if you want to compose, and some room treatment (like acoustic foam, etc.).

Ah! Well, I suppose the interface would do with that, which leaves me more budget!!!! Is there any pre-amp you'd recommend?
I took a look at the interface, but the plus look kinda weird to what I've been seeing on other interfaces :/ how does that work? Like, the plugs look different from things like tascam us-1800

Ah! Well, I suppose the interface would do with that, which leaves me more budget!!!! Is there any pre-amp you'd recommend?
I took a look at the interface, but the plus look kinda weird to what I've been seeing on other interfaces :/ how does that work? Like, the plugs look different from things like tascam us-1800

You shouldn't need a pre-amp.

The XLR inputs on the Audiobox are combination - they accept XLR and 1/4 plugs (like for instruments).

Back