Trying to make a decision

funkdrmr

Hey everyone. I'm just starting to get a plan in place for putting a small home studio together using SONAR 4. Currently, I'm deciding on what preamps I want to buy, and I have it narrowed down to 2 selections. The Presonus Firepod, and the Mackie Onyx 800R.

Presonus says that they have BETA drivers, which will be fully released in about a month, to support daisy-chaining the Firepod. This seems like a very simple solution, especially since they offered to send me the BETA drivers before they were released if I purchased 2 units and would need them. I'm a computer guy by trade, so I'm familiar with what I could be getting into with the BETA drivers. On this option, I'm really wondering if anyone's tried it out yet.

With the 800R, Mackie informed me that I could use 2 of them, provided I had a soundcard that had enough inputs. This is where I am lost, as I haven't even STARTED to research sound cards, and what will work with SONAR. Does anyone here have any recommendations on this? My biggest concern is getting a card and 2 of the 800R's, only to find out that SONAR won't allow simultaneous inputs from multiple ports.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The question isn't what sonar will accept... it will take as many as you've got. The limitation is how many inputs your soundcard has. If you have a basic Soundblaster card that most computers come with, then it only has one input. Hence, you can only record one channel at a time.

I have, and have been very happy with, my M-Audio soundcards. I started with the Delta 66 which has 4 inputs/outputs. Recently, I thought it would be nice to record my whole band at once so I needed more and add a Delta 1010 which adds 8 more inputs for a total of 12.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Picker. I think I'm making progress between your post and other searches I've been doing.

I guess my real dilemma comes down to: What soundcard would be the right choice to use 2 of the 800R's, along with at least one or 2 other analog out preamps(total of 18 channels)? I think I would have this decided on my own by now, but I still don't understand all of the connection options available on the 800R.

I understand that SONAR doesn't have a problem with the amount of inputs, but how tricky is it to use multiple sound cards if they're needed for as many inputs as I'd like?

Back