Trying to find my old guitar value...

jrhager84

expert newb
I have a '57 Guitar that has "Kalamazoo" on the head by the tuning pegs. It's got a tweed case that's pretty cool... It's a baby blue/seafoam color (color is faded due to age). I'm told that these bad boys are very rare, and to top it off, it's a special edition 3/4 model...even has the original case and original instrument cable! I'm just wondering what the ballpark value of this bad boy is, and where I can find more info about it. It's being shipped back to me from another state (my dad was holding it), so as soon as I get it I'll have serial numbers and such. Any ideas guys?

Looks sort of like this:
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fi.../p25968h-3a3b75cf848515082d5754eb27b47964.jpg

Bluebooks not withstanding 'value' on an instrument like this is entirely subjective. It has a theoretic 'point' value of roughly $130-190 (this doesn't factor the case which might bump it up a bit). But even this depends on a lot of variables: neck warping, is vibrolux intact and functional, is the pickgaurd cracked?

Kalamazoo was a name Gibson, pre-Norlin, used several times for budget guitars. The solid body electrics were manufactured between 65-70 (approximately) came in two body styles and the 'Mustang' style at least could have one or two p/u. I'm not aware of a 3/4's version but neck was just 22 fret. and over all it would have seemed smaller then a either a typical Fender or Gibson. Design was similar to Fender Mustang. P/U's were single bar single coil 'Charley Christian' style. Body was medium density fiberboard.

Personally I always felt target demographic was less Fender then Sears and Spiegel (mail order, pre mall department store). In early 70's this was one of guitars a band, if it lacked an endorsement deal, could buy used for under $50, play on-stage then smash or burn without breaking the bank. They never acquired niche cache of having been popularized by high profile personalities. The right movie could change their subjective value immensely.

Currently the stock sound is referred to as 'surf' . . . I do not personally hear it as 'surf' but understand association due to low sustain, truncated frequency response, and a vibrato system that doesn't permit it to stay in tune

While they are never going to sound like THE '63 strat, or '57 Les Paul they are not terrible instruments (the ones where the necks aren't trashed) if you have a use for the limited sound they produce. The flexibility of tone can be improved with some relatively inexpensive modern parts (tuners, tailpiece, bridge, pickups, pots) If you spend a hundred dollars on parts you will end up with a reasonable $100 guitar (which will still reflect sustain characteristics of medium density fiberboard)

Collectable value demands you keep any original parts readily available (& don't carve on the body)

Weird.... I was specifically told it was a '57.......I'll get more info today and get back with you. Thanks for the info......

I have been to gibsons site looking for serial numbers for epiphones and the only ones I find listed are for gibsons proper.
Anyways, if you want, you can send the guitar to me and I will evaluate it for you.

big-grin-emoticon.gif

If my kalamazoo is in fact a Gibson (can't find any pictures of my specific model, only hollow bodies), mine was made in '66. I'm sad. :(

I saw one in a shop once for $350.

My Grandpa has one of the baby blue guitars as well.... Too bad he sold the tube amp when it got a "buzz in it" :(

According to Gruhn's guide, the Kalamazoo brand was discontinued by Gibson in '42, then revived from '65-'70. All the Kalamazoo models of the later period were solid body electrics of various configurations- 1 pu, 1 pu w/vibrato, 2 pu, 2 pu w/ vibrato. These were the models KG-1, KG-1A, KG-2, KG-2A respectively. There was also a bass and a flat top acoustic (the 1 exception to the all solid body electric statement).

Gibson serial numbers don't really help much on Gibson's, much less on other brands, so if the books say 65-70, that's probably what you have.

As for value, I can't help you much. It's not going to be much, if for no other reason than that it doesn't say "Gibson" on the headstock.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back