Try to follow me here....

vactastic

I don't know if i'll explain this right but i'll go for it anyways.

I want to run my headphones out of my auxes on my board. here is my setup

-Mackie 1604
-furman unbalanced patchbay

I want to make a cable to run out of my Mackie Aux to the patchbay, so i can plug right into the patchbay.

Here's what I've experienced so far.

If I plug headphones into aux it come out of one side, if I plug a headphone extension in first then it comes through both phones.
why? how is this wired.

thanks jason

The first part is pretty easy, your aux on the mixer is mono, plugging in a stereo heaphone, will leave the ring of the headphone jack untouched, so you'll only hear one side.

As far as that extension thingy, don't know what happens, maybe it's some sort of mono thingy, I don't know.

Another point: the level coming from the aux of your mixer is not suited for your headphones. It might work, but that's not what this output is designed for... Normally you'd put a headphone amp in between that.

As far as your patchbay is concerned, is the patchbay stereo or is it mono? If it's mono, you'll have the same problem, only one half of the headphones will be working. The cable you need in this case would be a mono jack.

If it's a stereo patchbay, you could make a cable that has a mono jack on the side of the mixer, and a stereo output on the side of the patchbay. The tip and ring of the stereojack should be connected both to the tip of the monojack.

But you should really look at the levels of your signal, and look into headphone amps. The aux output really isn't designed for that. Isn't there a headphone out on that mixer?

You can use aux's to drive a headphone amp but you don't want to plug phones directly into an aux send. If you want to run the phones in mono use a Y chord on the output of the single aux send so it'll come out of both ear pieces. You want stereo use two auxs, one to each side of a headphone amp. This is all true if you're using a patchbay or not.

Back