Trumpet, male/female vocals <200$

Swede

I've got about 200$ to spend on mics. I've been looking at Studioprojects B1 and C1. The C1 is very bright, would it be better to get the B1 for allround use with vocals (male and female) and trumpet (possibly overheads)? Do you have any other mic that you recommend for these applications?

//Simon

I'd lean towards a LDC (large diaphragm condenser) for vocals, a dynamic mic for the trumpet, and SDC's as overheads.

I've tried micing the trumpet with an SM57 and it works very well when I play loud, but doesn't cut it when playing soft (open or muted) and I was thinking a LDC may help in that area, but what do I know?
Unfortunately I can't afford to get both a SDC and LDC right now (unless they're really cheap) so I guess I'll go for a LDC vocal mic. Would the C1 sound good on both male and female vocals?

You should be able to get a used Shure SM57/58 for about $40, a LDC like a Studio Projects B1, or Marshall MXL990, or etc, for about $80, and two SDC like the Behringer ECM8000's for about $80. That's about $200 total and within your budget.

If you get an LDC for trumpet, make sure it has a -10dB pad on it. That way you can use the pad if the trumpet is too loud.

Beezoboy said:
Sennheiser 441 - It is a great mic. Search this forum and you'll see! Also it doesn't need phantom power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2511761178&category=15198#DESC

It works great on female vocals. 441 on vox.

The B-1 is also a great mic. I have only used it on drums though so far.

For trumpet/flugal horn I have gotten great results from a V67.

Beezoboy

Good job. How far away from the MXLV67 were you with the flugal horn, and did you add the reverb or is that your room? Thanks.

Ambi,

V67 probably about 2 feet away off axis. Well he kind of moved around a lot when he played so it is hard to say.

Waves Rverb Large Hall 300 was used (but tinkered with by my on the room EQ and wet/dry). Recorded at 24/44.1.

Beez

i never liked the SM57 much myself playing trombone. I really like a smooth sound and it just didnt cut it for recording. Definately stick with a condensor of some sort. I had pretty good luck with the AT4033 but it was a little to harsh when i played loud. The best ive found so far for myself on trombone loud and soft is the SP C1 (surprise surprise). I love the smooth sound this gives on the trombone. Also i havnt tried it on trumpet yet i have a hunch it will do it justice also.

Infact i liked to get the mic about a foot away from the bell. Sometimes i would put it off axis a little if the sound was a little too bright. Sounds great, and im in love with the sound. V67 i believe is basically a C1 so im guessing it will be similiar.

And as you already know its a great mic on vocals.

I also had some pretty good luck with my ECM8000 on the trombone. They however sounded a little more natural and picked up more room sound, so its not the first mic i would pick for myself because i really like that smooth sound, but if your looking for natural sounding its not a bad option. However, i do remember it was a little more difficult to play loud with them without a little distortion.

danny

Back