True pecision 8

Magnet

Anyone have any coments on the True Precision 8 mic pre?
What is the best bang for the buck? 8 channels for $2300 would be really great if they are all they are made out to be. I record mostly pop music and the mackie VLZ pro mic pres are just not doing it for me.
I'd be particularly interested in Fletchers comments.
That would be my max budget. I don't have to get 8 channels for that money if there is a 2 or 4 channel mic pre that can be suggested.

Thanks in advance

magnet

I've asked Flecther before about his opinion of that unit and he thinks it's crap... I know a couple of other engineers, who have good ears, and they like it... some people like chocolate, others like vanilla, I guess....

I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect it will outperform the Mackie pres in any case...

Thanks for the quick replies, do you have any suggestions for 2-4 or 8 channels for that kind of money approx ($2000)

Best

magnet

Sytek mpx-4a, around $800 for four channels. It doesn't have much "personality" either, but it's very clean and smooth, and it will kick the living crap out of your mackies. Don't be fooled by the price, it's a very high quality unit. A good choice for anyone's first high quality pre. A lot of pros give these units big thumbs up.

Then with your left over cash you can buy one really nice channel with tubes or transformers to give you some color and personality.

I found Fletcher's answer when I emailed him on it (from 2003)........

I'm really not all that impressed with the Precision 8... I've been evaluating the new 2 channel "True Systems" product... and frankly I'm on the fence about it.

I found the "Precision 8" to be rather small and harsh sounding... not something that really fits in with what Mercenary Audio does.

We're Neumann dealers... but at this point, we're not going to deal the "True Systems" product.
In later exchanges, he went on to recommend the API 3124 and John Hardy pres instead......

Magnet said:
Thanks for the quick replies, do you have any suggestions for 2-4 or 8 channels for that kind of money approx ($2000)

If you must have 8 channels you can go with RNPs, and still be under budget.
Or if you are able to go on 2-4, you may want to consider the Old School Audio pres, in my opinion they are one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck pres around. There are 4 very different sounding preamps, the MP1-A, MP1-C, MP1-L and MP1-L3. YMMV.

I'd love to know more about the Old School mic pres, they look really hip.
Did Fletcher review these as well?
The Api 4 channel is looking very good.

Thanks for all the insight

magnet

Does anyone know if the Old School Audio box can handle the ADM mic pres as well? They are similar to Api.
Magnet

Back