trs cable question

acoustic84

Im so excited! I just got a used dmp3 and delta 66 for flippin cheap. And I'll be buying a SP B1 soon. But getting to the point. I force myself to not go cheap on cable and I already have a couple of goldseries mogami xlr's. Now I need a couple of trs 1/4 cables, and was wondering if the gold series is really that superior to the regular silver ones. Cause the gold is flippin expensive, so any help appreciated.

You may have already considered and dismissed this, but building your own is a really affordable way to get good cables on the cheap. Learning to solder won't take more than a few minutes w/google and a few minutes experimenting.

Check out www.redco.com for Mogami bulk cable and more.
and perhaps Full Compass for connectors.

To answer your question, I'll go out on a limb and say I think you'd find it hard to tell the difference between their silver and gold products. Just ask yourself this question, when you landed on Earth from Krypton, did the yellow sun affect your hearing too? :D

acoustic84 said:

Sheesh. Aren't those even more expensive than the top of the line MonsterCables?

I only bought a couple MonsterCables because of the return policy...and it seemed I was destroying an awful lot of guitar cables.

But now I build my own. Custom length and custom plugs.

mogami isn't that expensive, i don't know if its more than monster cable but its probably a hell of a lot better

thanks qbert1. Ive considered building my own, but i dunno if Id be any good at it. Kinda like how i want to mod my hm-1's but i dont wanna screw anything up. hm-1's are under rated by the way, nobody ever talks about them.

acoustic84 said:
thanks qbert1. Ive considered building my own, but i dunno if Id be any good at it. Kinda like how i want to mod my hm-1's but i dont wanna screw anything up. hm-1's are under rated by the way, nobody ever talks about them.

I think if your careful and do the right reading before hand, you'll be fine. It really is quick and easy once you get the hang of it. If you want to be certain everything is coming out right, buy a cable tester or on the cheap a continuity tester and double check your work. Good Luck

BTW what are HM-1's

qbert1 said:
To answer your question, I'll go out on a limb and say I think you'd find it hard to tell the difference between their silver and gold products. Just ask yourself this question, when you landed on Earth from Krypton, did the yellow sun affect your hearing too? :D

Too funny... great point though. You'd be better off with the cheapest cables that offers a lifetime guarantee (I think that's Live Wire) and some stabilant 22 (contact enhancer; sounds stupid but it works).

Jay

Gold is actually a worse conductor than silver or copper. It's main selling point is that it resists tarnishing a little better. Never seemed worth it to me.

easychair said:
Gold is actually a worse conductor than silver or copper. It's main selling point is that it resists tarnishing a little better. Never seemed worth it to me.

Agreed. Especially if treated with stabilant 22. I've been a convert since treating the edge connectors on my pm-2000. It also helped fix the card reader on a digital camera.

Jay

qbert1 said:
BTW what are HM-1's

There sdc mic's made by kel audio. I think they sound pretty good on my acoustic guitar.(Larrivee d-03r) Ive heard there pretty good for overheads too.

You will save a fortune if you make your own. 1m Mogami TRS cables are $36 at GC. Redco sells the bare cable for $.53 a foot and good (Neutrik) ends are ~$3 each

Back