TRS and XLR with the "Box"

TruBLUE

Would plugging a TRS Connected mic into a Amp then to Computer have a better sound then a XLR Connected Mic to a Box(ad/converter and preamp) then computer?

The computer uses a internal sound card made especially for recording use.

Better for what? Better according to whom? More accurate in a scientific way or more aesthetically attractive?

Most of the time a mic into a mic preamp will sound more "right" than a mic into a guitar amp. But on occasion, like for harmonica, I have used a mic into an impedance converter into a guitar amp and then a mic on the amp. I wouldn't use TRS into an amp.

I did not say plug the TRS into a guitar amp. I said amp, Referring to what you probably know as a "Preamp"
Which would sound better when recording vocals?

A TRS input connection on a preamp is meant for instrument level, not mic level so, no, it would not.

Have you tried it?
Respectfully I would rather have a answer from some who has compared by doing it

I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want to do this... generally TRS or Jack connectors are for line level devices.
As a rule keep your sigal chain as short and free from adaptors and sockets as possible.
Luck

Some preamps have TRS inputs, or switchable mic/line inputs. First - what computer soundcard are you using? If it is truly 'made for recording', you don't need a 'Box' (as you call it) to do the A-to-D converting.

You want answers from someone who has experience of both types of setup?

I used a create extigy external soundcard, external preamps and a few mics (mlx990,sm58,rode nt1) when I started out.

Then I upgraded to a semi decent interface and never looked back.

I found that hiss built up very quickly over multiple tracks with the soundblaster effort.

So you recorded with those mics using both TRS connection and XLR connection and XLR sounded better?

mic to XLR mic cable to a USB interface to USB port on your computer.
mic to XLR mic cable to preamp to line in on USB interface to computer.
Both of the above would give you reasonably clean results.
Clean is good if you want to manipuate it in your recording software.
Are you dong any JayZ?

No. I'm just giving that as a comparison between soundblaster audio cards and usb/firewire audio interfaces.

Bruiser was right about the TRS thing though.
It's almost always used for line level or instrument level signals, whereas XLR is almost always for microphone level signals.

The only microphone level TS/TRS sockets I've seen have been on old reel to reel players and old mixers; I mean 60's/70's old.

Stay on topic please. I want to know which sounds better. im not interested in the recommended applications of either connection i simply want to know which sounds better.

Stay on topic please. I want to know which sounds better. im not interested in the recommended applications of either connection i simply want to know which sounds better.

One is designed to work with the level a microphone puts out
the other isn't.
Which do you think will sound better?

You know what? Go buy it and find out.

Would plugging a TRS Connected mic into a Amp then to Computer have a better sound then a XLR Connected Mic to a Box(ad/converter and preamp) then computer?

The computer uses a internal sound card made especially for recording use.

Perhaps redo the question then. To me it reads like it'd have to be comparing two completely different rigs anyway. It's not even close to a generic TRS' XLR question- two many other variables.

Last edited:
Why don't you try it and let us know, and lose some of the attitude in the process.

Do some reading and the concepts people are talking about here might make sense to you and then you can answer your own question - like LINE level and MIC level would be a good start, then work out what that means in the context of a preamp.

Back