Troubleshooting- No Sound

swatsds

American Sympathizer
Well, I guess there's either a really easy answer to this or not.

I just assembled a new computer with a Delta 410 sound card. About a week into using it, I tried to connect my keyboard (synth) to it. Now there is no sound at all from the computer.

I reinstalled the Delta drivers.
There are no reported conflicts.
The devices are enabled.
And the volume is up.

Did I permanently screw up the card by connecting something wrong?
How can I get sound back?

Thanks.

assuming its not a speaker problem...

were you connecting midi ? or audio ?

can you see any activity on its input with sound present ? output ? (LED)

The obvious thing to do would be to check all cables/cable connections. Maybe even make certain the Delta is still seated firmly into the PCI slot.
Also check to make sure your monitoring system (speakers) are working.

in your windows control panel (assuming you're using windows), go to the audio settings and make sure your audio playback is set to your playback sound card and your recording one for the recording. at least thats how it is for my usb soundcard.

swatsds said:
sound shows on input.

for instance, just playing a mp3 will play, but there is no sound.

If your computer is showing an mp3 playing, but there is no sound its either because your speakers aren't routed to your soundcard, or your speakers are bust. Firstly i would suggest ensuring the soundcard is being routed to the soundcard, i dont know the full way to do this because i use a mac, but i think its something like "Start>control Panel> Audio"(Assuming your using XP) and then check the input and output. If thats all correct, What i suggest, is you try and use your speakers with another piece of hardware thats compatible, another computer? a stereo? If those are working, and it is routed to your soundcard, i would suggest somethings wrong with the soundcard and to try and get it checked out somewhere? Is it still under warranty? Did you fit it yourself? If you did fit it yourself, did you take anti static precuations etc etc?

Good luck

Peace :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had a friend build the whole pc, so I never handled the actual sound card. Is it possible that I "broke" it when I was hooking up the synthesizer to its outputs? I was randomly putting cables together.
But not only does the soundcard not work, there is no sound from the pc's default sound programs when I switch to them.

This would be getting into a new, but related area but . . . maybe I need to reinstall the windows audio drivers or download new ones like "Realtek 97" which is what was on there.

Back