Trouble with Drum Over heads, toms louder than Cymbals

xiwiwix

I using the pres on my Motu Mk II 828 and a pair of Studio Project C4's, and the C4's are picking up the toms louder than the cymbals. What can I do to fix that? I've tried them higher than normal, closer to the cymbals, and where I usually put them, what else can I do?

Take Care

Where are your overheads in relation to the plane of the cymbals? most of the cymbal sound radiates from the top and bottom of the cymbal, so if your mics are more to the side, it doesn't matter how close you get- they'll still be really quiet, especially if the mic has a very focused pickup pattern. If that doesn't work for you, perhaps try boosting the high end a little and cutting where the toms are... though I would avoid doing this as you can, usually the less signal processing you use the more natural the final sound. Or you could do what boingoman said and tell your drummer to quiet down on the toms/smash the cymbals harder, but if I were you I'd avoid getting the drummer to do anything that might hurt their performance.

EDIT: this is a bit unconventional, but I've had a lot of success sticking the overheads fairly low and behind the set (~5 ft up). This will only work if the cymbals are inclined towards the drummer somewhat, and will put the mic farther from the toms.

peace

Last edited:
this is a problem? usually people are complaining that there's not enough toms in the OH's.

i can't believe i'm recommending this, but move the cymbals closer to the OHs and hit the cymbals harder (and the toms softer). basically what boingoman said. :D

cheers,
wade

I would like to know how I can have your problem.

But heck, if you're wondering how to get the cymbals louder and toms softer ... you've come to the right place, my friend. :D I'm a freakin' expert at this subject. We're all experts at it, in fact. All of us here.

I'd just recommend using bigger, heavier cymbals, and pulling the mics back a little. Some cymbals are just louder than others. Oh yea, and quit hitting them like a panzy.

chessrock said:
I would like to know how I can have your problem.

But heck, if you're wondering how to get the cymbals louder and toms softer ... you've come to the right place, my friend. :D I'm a freakin' expert at this subject. We're all experts at it, in fact. All of us here.

I'd just recommend using bigger, heavier cymbals, and pulling the mics back a little. Some cymbals are just louder than others. Oh yea, and quit hitting them like a panzy.

Finally I can consider myself an expert at something. My ride cymbal kills. :D

Try "OH's" in front of the kit, x/y. It's pretty easy to control the toms/cymbol mix by moving up and down.

Back