Trouble with Drum Over heads, toms louder than Cymbals

xiwiwix

I using the pres on my Motu Mk II 828 and a pair of Studio Project C4's, and the C4's are picking up the toms louder than the cymbals. What can I do to fix that? I've tried them higher than normal, closer to the cymbals, and where I usually put them, what else can I do?

Take Care

If they're too boomy then cut the low end, otherwise I'd say consider yourself lucky, I'd kill to record a drummer that hits his drums louder than his cymbals.

jonnyc said:
If they're too boomy then cut the low end, otherwise I'd say consider yourself lucky, I'd kill to record a drummer that hits his drums louder than his cymbals.

How can I do that? I'm using Cubase SX3.

They are not to boomy, they are dominating the mix. :( They are getting picked up too loud.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Take Care

Well, with cubase you should have some eq plugs. Just activate a low frequency roll off and cut to taste. Also try boosting the highs but be careful not to make them too harsh. Maybe try some compression, are you familiar with that?

treymonfauntre said:
what else? kick drum cuts through the mix too well? not enough high hat bleed in the snare mic?

The snare and kick are fine because I have them mic'd up.

Take Care

jonnyc said:
Well, with cubase you should have some eq plugs. Just activate a low frequency roll off and cut to taste. Also try boosting the highs but be careful not to make them too harsh. Maybe try some compression, are you familiar with that?

No I'm not familiar with compression, can I run a compression plug in with Cubase?

Take Care

jonnyc said:
Can you post a sample, I mean, I can't see it being that bad.

I didn't save anything and the drummer is gone for the day. I will get something up tomorrow, but yes it's that bad. The toms are loud here in the room as well.

Take Care

simple suggestion

try moving the microphones closer to the cymbals....further from the toms??

just a shot in the dark.

treymonfauntre said:
what else? kick drum cuts through the mix too well? not enough high hat bleed in the snare mic?
:p

Compression is the way to go about fixing it. I have a similiar problem with my playing. Cymbals aren't loud enough, toms are too loud.

orksnork said:
get yourself some louder cymbals!!

That is a good idea, Also you could clean the ones you have very well so they get a better sound. There are some products to clean these things (here in Mexico we poor people use hot chili sauce for this and it works neat :D ).

Try placing the mics in a way that toms hide from them behind the cymbals.

More than compresing and eq'ing I think you should try with mic placement. and get a good sound out of the instrument itself.

Just in case you didn't know, the overheads are supposed to pick up the whole kit, not just the cymbals. What you are describing to us is a good thing. consider yourself lucky.

Farview said:
Just in case you didn't know, the overheads are supposed to pick up the whole kit, not just the cymbals. What you are describing to us is a good thing. consider yourself lucky.

I've been trying to say this the whole time.

things have to sound good.

good in the room.
good where the mics (right mics) are placed
good when they hit your recording medium.

then use comp and eq to tighten it up

P.S. my drummer has a 22 ride, 20 and 19 inch crashes
loudest fucking things in the world

Back