trouble with a john hardy mic pre

vanguard

I'm getting a lot of weird crackling from my john hardy m-1.

I have the gain turned all the way down and it's still distorting real bad if I have a slightly high spl.

a 57 on a fender deville turned up to 5 is very crackly even with the gain all the way down. does anyone know why this is happening or what I should try?

This is what happens you buy cheap crap and expect it to last forev ... wait, what thread is this again?

Oh, right, so it turns out that expensive gear sometimes need repairing too? That's gonna put a dent in some people's arguments. :rolleyes:

So in summary - be glad it's not a Behringer, and get it fixed. Or I'll have it. :)

Electronic components can and do wear, the high-end gear can fail just like any piece of electronics can. The difference is often A) it tends to be more rare with high-end, and B) how the high-end manufacturer handles the repair with the client - they'll often provide loaners, do a straight exchange, or whatever it takes to keep the client up-and-running, particularly for a working studio.

Manufacturers of cheap gear don't give a rat's ass how their gear's downtime affect the client.... they'll leave you hanging for as long as it takes to repair it, plus you pay all the shipping!

Just get in touch with John himself, he's a good man and will do what he can. Or call your dealer.

War

That's very good advise

Maybe it's a cap going out or something... but I agree with War... give John a call.

vanguard... pay no attention to the dude above... he's doing what he does best... making noise.

I agree with the send it to him part, only I'd like to change that to send it to me, if at all possible.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Back