Trouble trying to record a stereo track!!

Wildtown

Hey There,
Having some trouble trying to record a stereo track. When arm the stereo track and record it just record two mono tracks ie it doesnt seperate left and right like it should. Im am using the following,
  • Reaper recording software
  • Boss GT10 guitar pedal
  • Yamaha DTX Explorer

I realise I might not be able to record a stereo track with a GT10 but I would like to try!
Thanks in advance for any help

Could be that each mono track is part of the stereo track, 1 left, 1 right.

If you're recording guitar though, and it's just a single mono source (ie not something with a stereo effect on it), you'd be better off recording a mono track, and then recording the same thing again as another mono track (i don't mean copy the track, i mean actually physically play it again and record). Then pan those tracks left and right respectively. If you are recoding a mono source to stereo it's still going to sound the same as 1 mono track.

Hey There,
Having some trouble trying to record a stereo track. When arm the stereo track and record it just record two mono tracks ie it doesnt seperate left and right like it should. Im am using the following,
  • Reaper recording software
  • Boss GT10 guitar pedal
  • Yamaha DTX Explorer

I realise I might not be able to record a stereo track with a GT10 but I would like to try!
Thanks in advance for any help

Maybe you can't record in stereo, but when you bounce to the master track it will be in stereo.......

Could be that each mono track is part of the stereo track, 1 left, 1 right.

If you're recording guitar though, and it's just a single mono source (ie not something with a stereo effect on it), you'd be better off recording a mono track, and then recording the same thing again as another mono track (i don't mean copy the track, i mean actually physically play it again and record). Then pan those tracks left and right respectively. If you are recoding a mono source to stereo it's still going to sound the same as 1 mono track.

Sorry what I meant was both tracks were indentical and no panning was recorded. Its drums trying to record which are panned from the sound module I want to try and record this if possible.

Sorry what I meant was both tracks were indentical and no panning was recorded. Its drums trying to record which are panned from the sound module I want to try and record this if possible.

Pan them yourself? :confused: Reaper can't do everything for you bruh.

Unless you're recording a mono source onto a stereo track, then it will just be the same audio on two tracks. Your source needs to have a stereo output or L/R outputs.

Pan them yourself? :confused: Reaper can't do everything for you bruh.

Unless you're recording a mono source onto a stereo track, then it will just be the same audio on two tracks. Your source needs to have a stereo output or L/R outputs.

Sorry I probally havent given enough information here! What I am trying to do is record my electronic drum machince (Yamaha DTX explorer). This machine has a stereo output (a left/mono jack and a right jack). I have got a 2 x phono to stereo jack cable which I am using to connect to my GT10 guitar effect proccesor which in turn connects to my laptop and reaper hence I can record tracks.

I have no problem recording mono tracks and I do know that they have to be panned when mixing down. I want to record the drums in stereo and thats that. But as I explained early when I arm a stereo track in reaper it treats it like a mono source ie records two identical tracks. This is not any good as I had panned some of the drums around using the onboard sound module on the kit (hopefully this makes sense so far).

I did a little test on the cable, I connected a microphone to one side only(the left) and it worked fine as a mono input. I then changed the mic to the right side and I didnt get anything.

I think one or all of the following may be the problem!
  • My boss pedal cant handle a stereo input
  • Reaper cant handle a stereo input from the boss pedal
  • Both reaper and the boss pedal can handle a stereo input but it is not setup to do such a thing
  • my cable is incorrect or broken (unlikey as it was purchased today)

I realise that this might not be possible to do with the boss pedal, if so can anyone recomend a piece equipment which handle stereo input.

Cheers

Keep in mind that unless you're feeding it a stereo signal, you have two mono signals. The GT10 has a stereo output, but that doesn't automatically mean that the two signals aren't identical.

Simple troubleshooting though - Just unplug one of the outputs of the GT10.

[*]Reaper cant handle a stereo input from the boss pedal

I can eliminate that as a possibility for you, Reaper handles stereo input (and output) just fine. :)

If the output of your GT-10 is stereo and you connect it to the stereo input of whatever interface/soundcard you are using, just select that stereo input for the track you arm to record in Reaper.

You already guessed it - the GT-10 does not have a stereo input. Guitars typically don't have stereo output, this is a guitar f/x processor.
You will only hear a different L & R output from it if you are using a stereo effect like a phaser or flanger.

You already guessed it - the GT-10 does not have a stereo input. Guitars typically don't have stereo output, this is a guitar f/x processor.
You will only hear a different L & R output from it if you are using a stereo effect like a phaser or flanger.

Thanks for clearing that one up. I have actually struggled to find a suitable piece of equipment that can take a stereo input! I was looking at this but there is no mention of a stereo input "http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-detail.asp?prod=432" The whole thing is just driving me crazy. I cant understand why it should be so difficult to find a Direct box of some kind that could handle a stereo input!

Any help is very welcome

Back