Trouble mixing female vocals / take a listen

h2blink

Hey guys,

this is the first female fronted band ive recorded, and im having trouble getting the vocals to fit with the mix. they are a punk/pop rock band. The drummer was sloppy, but the rest of the band was pretty solid. Heres a link...

please take a listen and throw some suggestions. im still very new to mixing.

Equipment used...

Intel Mac 10.5
Pro Tools 7.4 M-powered
Firewire 410 interface
ART DPSII preamp
MXL 990 (vocals, overhead)
MXL v63m (overhead)
Nady RSM4 (kick)
Senn e609 (guitars)
Event 20/20bas monitors
Protools stock plugins

Try to "separate" vocal from guitar "honk" (cutting guitar mids between 500 and 1k).

Overall sounds thin (kick + bass guitar).

Ciro

Last edited:
thanks for the help CIRO, i have uploaded an updated mix. listening with a fresh set of ears definitely fixed some things

updated mix

The new mix sounds better.

How did you compress the vocals? Some careful compression could help bring them out during the parts where the guitars are loud, but the vox aren't.

The cymbals in the first mix were pretty overpowering, but it sounds like you scaled them back a bit in the second. However, I think they were phasing in and out a little in the second mix.

Catchy song. I like it.

Second mix is much better.Great improvement on bass guitar.
Vocal (nice performance and tone) sounds good and better matched with gtr now.

Bass drum could up a bit -all- (bottom end, kick...).

Ciro

Last edited:
I listened to the second mix. The lower range is a bit weak. The vox were slightly dry maybe add a touch of delay. You might want to double the vocal tracks and offset the second one by .020 or something like that and adjust the levels. It will give the vocals more width and some chorusing effect. I thought the guitars sounded good. I agree this is a catchy song.

Thank You guys for all your input/suggestions and time. You have helped a great amount. I will upload the final mix soon for everyone to listen to.

Thanks again, jason

Back