Trippy acoustic tune

way too much pause at the beginning (about 16 seconds of it)

i'd personally fade it in a little more rapidly

voice sounds familiar like i've heard it before, mind me asking the vocalists name?

i personally wouldn't pan the drums that far to the right on the break at 2:21... i'd bring back to the left a couple clicks

cool bass ..i love the sound of strings being 'rubbed'

With "mix" being the topic, and not the personal taste of the use of extended fading, IMHO:
The ambiance of the drum mix was very favorable, it also had a smooth transition as the instruments built up in the mix at around 3:45. I did notice low levels of the instruments that shared the same bands as the vocals right up to the fore mentioned buildup, which in turn makes the vocals a tad piercing up to that point. If your high shelf was relaxed a bit on the instruments, they would close that perceptual gap a bit.

I did like the song; performances were well suited for the genre.

Sonically, the drumset and mandolin stand out as sounding especially good. Bass gtr is very expressively played. The gtr on the left at 4:30 sounds a little out of tune to me. Very interesting tune.

Sounds cool, what'd you use for the binaural recording? I do some binaural stuff too, but usually only for sound effects.

You must be in a good sounding room because the binaural guitars still sound pretty good on speakers.

As Tim said, very interesting song, I liked it. Listened to the whole thing and now it's in my MP3 folder.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and advice.

The binaural stuff is actually a Jecklin Disc setup using ECM8000's. I need to get some quieter pres and mics for that kind of stuff but I'm happy with how such cheap mics are performing. The room is fantastic, it's a concrete dome house and the acoustics were recorded on the open, upper level.

It's a cool recording. The mando and string elements are sublime. Reminds me of an old zep recording, actually. You did some interesting things that I haven't ever tried (like putting the snare in the closet while the kick remains in your face), but it all fits really well.

The bass gives the song a really individual style - could've been cod ZEP3 but isn't - nice lyrics too.
Well done!!!!

Very nice! Very open sounding, sweet.

Are the drums recorded solo? What was the process anyway, are other tracks recorded in the same space? (sounds like the lead vocals aren't).

How did you balance the Jecklin next to the close miked kit (I can't recognize what's close miked anyway...enlightem me).. Did you adjust delay between the two by any chance?

Did you chorus the lead vocals? I can here something phasy in there.. what about the back vocs? What's your technique?

Thanks
Adam

Thanks again guys.

Adam, This was all recorded in a 30'x40' , 2 story dome house and the drums are in a lower level that is open to the upper level. The jecklin is up on the upper level so it captures the reflected sound off the top. There were 2 mics on the snare and one on kick, two overheads in a spaced pair. I didn't move the ambient tracks at all, just compressed and EQ'd.

The vocals were done in a med sized tile bathroom and the flange is from double tracking and AutoTune. All acoustics were done on the top level. Bass was in a small bathroom DI'd and mic on the cab and compressed to hell. Electric guitar close mic in a bedroom. The drum at the end is a distant mic'd snare with the snare spring loose and recorded at a higher speed on the Radar 24 so the pitch is lower on playback.

We tracked it all together but just kept the original drums and retracked the rest. This used to be our heaviest rockin song but we thought we would try something different with it.

Finally got to my monitors for a good listen.

Love that Kick. The whole depth of field is very cool. The vocals sound a bit like the band is to far behind them at times when they get dry. It's cool for effect and really accents the depth of the recording but, I'd keep them placed a little closer to the band and not let them get quite as dry as they do in places.

Never the less this is kick ass and very cool! I'm going to save it for sure.
It's like Dave Mathews but better.

Great job :D

F.S.

the drums do sound good to me. low impact.

the slide on the bass got old real fast. too prominent.

overall it reminded me of something 10,000 maniacs might do. i couldnt understand the words or the message

it has kind of a celtic motivational feel to it

Back